[AktiviX-discuss] [AktiviX-users] list-admins: Changes to lists.aktivix.org subscription process

echo echo at aktivix.org
Mon Mar 15 13:13:46 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 11:22 +0000, mp wrote:

> I am seriously confused about the situation: what has been achieved?
> What has been lost?

We've severely decreased the risk of having one of our lists turn into a
means of distributing massive amounts of spam, and in so doing meant
that it's much less likely that the major mail-providers will block
email from aktivix lists, something that has happened with both the last
two spam-attacks. We are also now in a position to confirm to these
mail-providers that we only allow subscriptions that have been confirmed
by the relevant email-address, meaning that we're more likely to
continue not to be marked as spam or blacklisted.

We didn't look at other ways of doing this. I'm not sure if there are
any, but one might be to limit to (say) 30 the number of email-addresses
that can be subscribed in a (say) 24-hour period.

/echo