[AktiviX-discuss] [BigPlan] Aktivix and the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions campaign against Israel

gdm gdm at aktivix.org
Sun May 15 18:47:15 UTC 2011

hi,

On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 07:11:08PM +0100, Ian Gregory wrote:
> The fact that a person advocates BDS in no way implies that they are
> antisemitic.

that wasn't the discussion that was had, but i can see how one could get
that impression from a single, out-of-context quote.

personally, i think it is bad form to quote like that. but, even more
so, i think it is reprehensible that conversations from private emails
are quoted (and, not just out of context, but *at all*!) on a public
mailing list.

(and, fwiw, they're not my words.)

> I am a member of the Bicycology collective and we have
> donated money to Aktivix (we use the wiki) - I don't think we would
> have done so if we had known of this policy.

as i have already said in this discussion, there is no such
"policy". there has been a discussion (which is actually still ongoing -
i think it has been 5 or 6 years by now!) of how to help people who seek
mailing lists for this type of political organising. we have not yet
reached an agreement on the best way to handle requests in this general
area, and each request is therefore treated on the merits of that
request - exactly as all other requests that are made to the
aktivix-request mailing list. the one slight difference in this case is
that we are not always able to help directly (by hosting on the aktivix
listserv) but we do help indirectly and try to ensure that the list
request is fulfilled.

i hope that helps clarify the situation. and regarding your donations -
thank you! we are extremely grateful for all donations as it is our only
source of income and hosting costs are not low.

solidarity,

	--gdm

--
GPG: 5607 E4BC C6B6 90F4 5EBC  B348 D01B 9D77 912F 963C