[AktiviX-discuss] free social network(s)

Alan Dawson aland at burngreave.net
Fri Sep 28 21:46:32 UTC 2012

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 12:35:11PM +0200, flawer wrote:
> hi, i'm ..... bla.
>

> perhaps you'd like to try to set up a lorea.org (elgg+bundle) software
> service for the uk.... this next month comes a new verison,,, and
> there's a hackmeeting in one of this project's "headquarters"
> sindominio.net/hackmeeting

thats a really interesting proposition

I don't no that much about lorea.
I have looked at n-1.cc before, and just set up account at n-1.cc

Not knowing anything about lorea, ( my Spanish language skills are non existent ) I wonder if you could help us learn more about it's technical details.

1. Is is a federated social network. That is, can users with accounts on one lorea seed/node communicate with users with accounts on another seed/node.

This is important, I can't see the point in building any communication service at the moment unless it can peer with users on other compatible and autonomously run services.  So a smtp/xmpp service would be fine, but a monolithic site, that allowed users to communicate internally, but had no facility to peer with other similar sites is retrograde ( for example crabgrass last time I looked ).

How is lorea on this ?

2. oStatus support.  We've been running a statusnet installation for a couple of years, at https://indy.im, and it would be great if we could connect the lorea and statusnet systems.  I see that oStatus support is in lorea and that we can subscribe to n-1.cc profiles via ostatus. Thats ace :-) but it's not clear to me what happens to posts from lorea over ostatus. Public wire posts from lorea don't seem to come across to statusnet

3. What resource are required in running a lorea seed ?  The statusnet installation we have has become quite resource hungry over time, and has collected over 10 million unique posts over that time.  The growth of this was quite unexpected, and if people were going to develop a lorea instance it would be good to get an idea of how it needs to scale over some years.

Regards,

Alan Dawson
--
"The introduction of a coordinate system to geometry is an act of violence"