[AktiviX-discuss] Enigmail 1.7 vs aktivix's mailman

Metabrot metabrot at aktivix.org
Sun Aug 10 13:41:23 UTC 2014

On 10/08/14 14:34, Alan Dawson wrote:
> trying to understand the problem here.
>
> You have a mailman list at lists.aktivix.org.
> ( yourlist at lists.aktivix.org )
> You have generated an openpgp key with the list address as a uid
> You've distributed the public and private key to all the list members, so that they can
> encrypt to it and decrypt the distributed messages.
>
> I've never used mailman in this way before, and I don't use enigmail, but
> aktivix has an installation of schleuder http://schleuder2.nadir.org/ that is designed
> to be used with gpg mailing lists

Hi,

our setup is different. We have a list yourlist at lists.aktivix.org and to
encrypt to everyone on that list each user encrypts to … everyone on
that list.

So if Alice, Bob and Charley are on yourlist at lists.aktivix.org then
Alice encrypts to Alice, Bob and Charley. For this she uses the
"per-recipient rules" in Enigmail which allows to assign a list of PGP
keys to an e-mail address, in this case the address of the list.

This setup scales up to a few dozen subscribers, especially if
distributing the right keys to use and updating per-recipient rules is
somewhat automated.

The difference with Schleuder is that we don't have to deposit a
decryption key on the server.

Cheers,
Meta