[AktiviX-discuss] Weaving Our Own Web - Digital Tools For Activists Event Sat. 10 Jan. 2015

zylum at peacenews.info zylum at peacenews.info
Fri Nov 7 15:15:16 UTC 2014

Dear Acvtivix,
       Peace News are developing a suite of online tools to be called
Zylum. Partly to launch this set of tools and partly just to get people
together to talk about tech' in campaigning - We are organising a
day-school of workshops to be hosted in London.

At the moment I am trying to figure out the best people to invite. and
which workshops to have people deliver. Would you like to come? Would
you like to present a workshop? Can you think of anyone else,
individuals or collectives whom I should invite, either to share their
expertise or because they are still haven't grasped the importance of
free software and online security for their campaign(s).

Our target audience are people who understand email but would otherwise
just post everything about their campaign on Facebook. PN's vision is to
provide an integrated, public email list rather like Mailchimp. Plus an
organisers email list rather like Riseup. Plus a really basic template
based website for folk who find even Wordpress too complicated. Plus a
simple online WP document sharing thing a bit like Google docs, Basecamp
or Dropbox. All this without selling your data to advertisers.

There will be workshops for the least technical, the kind of medium
ground people who already use Wordpress - sort of thing, and for more
experienced tehies' to share ideas. There will be a strong focus on net
security and online privacy.

The draft workshop programme already includes:
- I don't know anything, An introductory three-part course showing you
how to use basic online tools to strengthen your group and make it more
effective.

- How to use Wordpress for world-changing, A guide to one of the most
common website/blog platforms.

- Ask a Geek, Everything you always wanted to know about computers/the
web but were afraid to ask.

- Here comes Zylum, The launch of a bundle of simple but powerful online
tools for campaigners created by Peace News for grassroots activists.

I look forward to hearing from you,
Yours,
Benjamin, Event organiser.

----