[alt-media-res] imc uk chronology

Marion Hamm marion.hamm at gmx.net
Fri Apr 28 23:46:43 BST 2006

Hi,
Here are the beginnings of an imc uk chronology as proposed and agreed.
The categories I used have been checked with Steffen and Andre.
This version of the imc uk chronology spreadsheet is still quite London
centered, partly because this is where the indymedia project in the UK
started, and partly due to my involvement in this location. Therefore,
this spreadsheet does not give you the full "storyline", as andre said
in a different mail. I don't know what your questions and your approach
for the imc uk history are, so I collected entries that are seen as
important within the imc uk network. It is a selection, not a complete
archive. An account of the imc uk history would need to clearly show the
decentralised character of the network.

In the wiki (under project organisation chronology proposal), I defined
clearly what notion of imc uk i am using. Since I am under the
impression that this project uses a much wider definition of imc uk, you
might want to add data about people, groups and projects who post to,
read and appear on indymedia (this could become a great history of
certain social movements in the uk!) For an alternative media timeline,
you'd probably want to include all video and radio groups that produce
alternative media, the wealth of activist blogs and a multitude of other
alternative media makers.

I include a break-down of the categories I used. I've tagged the
spreadsheet with a creative commons licence, attributions should be made
to imc uk. The indymedia wiki docs.indymedia.org is currently down, so
some links might not be accessible. As soon as it is up again, I will
upload the spreadsheet to it.

best
Marion

----START CATEGORIES---

Some of the Columns are searchable with Autofilter or "Sort", others
include open content. They have been chosen with possible use by the
"United Kollektives" in mind. You can add your own categories to code
the entries according to your research needs (and of course add or
delete entries, regroup them etc).

date - searchable. date of event

event - content. description of event

Sources - content. ...to make it quotable. URL, notes, interviews...

References pub. - content. published references (for cross referencing.
For expl, there will be articles to quote about the European Social
Forum etc.)

Comments - quotes from websites in question, more info than in the
"event" column. Sometimes reminders to check dates etc.

Location - searchable. Where did it take place? Online events might have
a server or a list as location, I found "cyberspace" not specific enough.

Imc Group involved - searchable. To code the activities of local groups,
so that it is possible to see their activities at first glance.
Sometimes there will be more than one group - don't know how to handle
that yet. It's also complicated because many things happen without a
named group doing them. For expl, many imc video screenings in London
are being organised by the same bunch of people from the imc-london
collective, but not everybody from the imc-london collective is
involved, and some people who are involved might not participate in the
imc-london meetings or mailing lists. I'd code the London imc screenings
as imc-london (but they are not listed yet), then see what those
involved say.

Category of Event - searchable. I've tried to assign a single category
to each event: Collaboration, Context, Decentralisation, Event (mainly
real space events, online stuff tends to be coded as Reporting), Global
Network (the global imc network), Location (Stuff that i only included
because it gives a sense of the "real space" location. could also be
listed as "meeting"), Mailing lists (shows the growing of the uk
network), Meeting (will include the imc network meetings), Mobilisation
(entries about big demos and mobilisations), New Group (when I could
identify a date for a new group that positions itself within the imc uk
network), Physical imc (when a real-space access point or imc was set
up), Print (there will be more entries, printed material is v
important), Reporting (this could also be seen as "web-event" or "web
action". It is more than just posting one report.), Repression (couldn't
think of a better name, but found it important to include for it shows
what indymedia collectives have to deal with. There is a much longer
list, I included those cases that I found in the imc uk features, but
not complete), website (the development of the various imc websites in
the UK (3 today) is crucial for the collectives who are looking after
them, important markers referred to in conversations).

Media used - searchable. This is tricky, because often there is more
than one medium being used. But if they are entered in exactly the same
order each time, this column can be used for searching.

Collaborations specific - content. I haven't entered much here, you can
look at the sources provided to see who collaborated.