[alt-media-res] Concerns raised about Alt- Media -res project at september's IMC London meeting.

devlishmay at aktivix.org devlishmay at aktivix.org
Thu Sep 28 12:33:13 BST 2006

Hey everybody

Last night I went to the Indy media London meeting and in the course of the
discussion, Tony one of the founders of IMC UK expressed concerns that we have
proposed a project researching Indymedia UKk and London  and recieved a " big
chunk of funding" but have not presented the project to the  London collective.
Or  proposed the project to any of the IMC lists.
He was angry about this because he felt that we have used the name and hard work
of Indy media volunteers to get funding for our own research aims.
I looked at the intial proposal and I really want to reassure him about our own
project processes and accountability.
He found our intial proposal on line, and was surprised that we had not been in
touch.
 This was the e mail that I sent to Tony:

Dear Tony,
Here is a link to the FAQ's about the alt-media-res project,
  http://alt-media-res.clearerchannel.org/public/index.php?title=FAQ
This is public.
I need to ask Marion about whether or not our wiki for the project was
forwarded
to relevant indy lists, there was a discussion amongst the alt-res media group
that this was to happen but I am not sure if it did happen.
Marion did recieve some funding from the project for a chronology of Indymedia.
The project has evolved into interviewing people involved in alternative media
projects and is still on going.
Sian Sullian and Andre Spicer interviewed  Indy media people in Toronto about
their involvement and how they saw IMC.
Students from UEA have taken on similar tasks, with regard to interviewing IMC
people in Rossport.
All of this is about to be put into the wiki.
I have spoken to Sian and she wondered if you would like to meet up with zoe,
and myself to clarify things further.
I have copied this e mail to zoe and Sian I have contacted them about your
issues with our process , I am concerned about how you see this project and
would like very much to reassure you.
Best
Pennie

But the discussion for me raises important questions about how we approach a net
work and I wonder about how we have approached indymedia and have we done this
in the best way for the project?
Also  what we can do to allay Tony's concerns?
I do feel to a certain extent that he has a point.
What should we do about this?
As the project is on going, we need to look at why we have had anxieties about
approaching Indymedia UK Kollectives, and why this has seemed so daunting?
I would like to have any records, of where we have proposed this project to IMC
lists.
I guess we need to communicate better because I am in a postion where I don't
know how to defend the project because I am not clear on all its directions.
best
Penniexx