[alt-media-res] Concerns raised about Alt- Media -res project at september's IMC London meeting.

marion.hamm at gmx.net marion.hamm at gmx.net
Sat Sep 30 15:50:00 BST 2006

Hi Pennie and all,

it's great that the alt-media-res project is renewing its efforts to reflect its relationship to the indymedia network.

Of course the first question is: Is there a relationship between the alt-media-res group and the indymedia network at all? At the first meeting of alt-media-res I participated in (December 2001), all of you said you wanted to research IMC-UK. This was documented in the minutes on the plentyfact wiki [1]. Now there is a plan to compile "a global history of Indymedia, with specific focus on London" [2]. The ESRC funding was granted for a project involving several indymedia case studies (although initial research plans can change).

All this establishes a relationship, albeit an asymetric one: alt-media-res
knows about this relationship, while the indymedia network - apart from
some individuals - doesn't.

Pennie, you asked if alt-media-res was introduced on the relevant indymedia lists. You say that "there was a discussion amongst the alt-res media group that this was to happen".

Afaik, it did not happen, as there was no consensus that an introduction was necessary. I made it clear in the first meeting I had with alt-media-res (Dec 05) that I would not facilitate access to the indymedia network as a research field for alt-media-res, and that it would be better if alt-media-res organises its own entry to indymedia (or indymedia uk) as a research field(documented on the plentyfact wiki [1]).

However, I initiated the discussion amongst the alt-media-res group on an introduction of alt-media-res to the indymedia network (I am not familiar with any other parts of alt-media-res). The entry to the field of research is a crucial phase for anyone doing field research, too important to remain unreflected.

In the framework of an, as you call it, "activist research" project which, I would assume, acts in solidarity and collaboration with the movements it
researches, transparency and a clear introduction of the research project are crucial: methodologically, politically and ethically.
The most obvious place for such an introduction to the indymedia network would be its publicly archived mailing lists. These lists are accessible for everyone who is interested, individual mails can be pointed to, people can discuss issues arising on lists offline.

I took it for granted that alt-media-res would be introduced either to the
global indymedia network or to the imc-uk network, depending on the
alt-media-res research design. I tried to help alt-media-res understand
how "research" is being discussed within the wider indymedia network by
providing links and explanations. I even provided a draft of an introduction as it would look from my point of view.

The reactions to my repeated requests for alt-media-res to introduce itself were contradictory. They ranged from no comment to a clear dismissal of my claim (that researchers who want to research indymedia should inform the relevant indymedia networks) as inappropriate or unnecessary for this project. Most agreed in theory that an introduction would be good (fantastic even), but didnt take any steps towards making it happen.

Unfortunately, I can't provide links to these discussions, because alt-media-res chose to have them on a private cc-list instead of the
publicly archived mailing list. When I am back in London, I can dig up those mails and post them here.

It became clear to me that this project would not take an open and
transparent approach to the indymedia network as its research field in
the near future. I realised that it would be very difficult if not impossible to develop a mutually beneficial research project involving indymedia and alt-media-res, simply because alt-media-res did not adress the indymedia network. No information was available on any indymedia list about alt-media-res. Therefore, indymedia as a network could not engage with alt-media-res, simply because it did not know that alt-media-res exists. The alt-media-res core group did not take steps to change this situation.

This is when I withdrew from the project. After a few telephone conversations with Steffen and in agreement with him, I changed my
status from "one of the people who run this project" to "research
associate". I made clear that I was willing to contribute my own research
papers to the project, but that I could not take any responsibility for the
external representation of the project and the way it relates or doesn't
relate to indymedia.
When I was invited to join the project, the stage, i.e. the internal
process of alt-media-res and its way of doing research, was already set. Regarding indymedia, it was set in a way that is inacceptable for me. So far, it contradicts both my ethos as an ethnographer and my politics as an activist.

This doesn't mean that alt-media-res' research into indymedia is inacceptable within the traditional framework of research. It simply means
that as far as I can see, its methodology is tied to traditional knowledge
production rather than politically progressive methodological concepts
like, for example, the operaist workers self-enquiry [3].

I did introduce my sub-project, the imc-uk chronology, to imc-uk-process and included a link to my original proposal to alt-media-res on the plentyfact wiki [1], as well as a link to the alt-media-res faqs.

After finishing the funded work on the chronology, I sent it to alt-media-res inviting you to add to it, uploaded it to the indymedia
wiki, and informed imc-uk-process. I had some positive feedback about
the chronology, and yossarian from imc uk wrote a web-interface for it.
This was presented to imc-uk-process. When the project took shape, I
sent a link to alt-media-res. [4]

By the way, I did not receive payment for my work in establishing the
first alt-media-res wiki or the imc-uk chronology. Andre, I returned the
completed forms you required a few months ago. It was agreed that I
would be paid for the chronology in July, but I did not hear back from
you. Steffen informed me that the plan is still to pay me for my work on the chronology.

In August 06, I re-submitted to alt-media-res a detailed funding proposal
for expenses occured through research for my phd (ICT use in social
movements), in exchange for my own research-based articles and
conference presentations as deliverables for alt-media-res.

best
Marion

Notes:

[1] Some resources were not transferred when alt-media-res moved its wiki from plentyfact to clearerchannel.

[2] see the public alt-media-res wiki http://alt-media-res.clearerchannel.org/public/index.php?title=London

[3] A collection of articles on militant research is here:
http://eipcp.net/transversal/0406. See especially the articles by
Antonella Corsani and Marta Malo de Molina.

[4] mail to alt-media-res about the imc uk chronology, including links to my mails to indymedia uk lists:
https://lists.aktivix.org/pipermail/alt-media-res/2006-September/000054.html

-------- Original-Nachricht --------