[alt-media-res] Concerns raised about Alt- Media -resprojectat september's IMC London meeting.

steffen boehm sgboehm at gmail.com
Sat Sep 30 15:41:47 BST 2006

Hi all,

I've spoken to Zoe about this on skype chat yesterday (ideally, I still
think it would be good to have some online chat about it), because I was
very concerned about the situation. I agreed with zoe that I would compose a
draft email to be sent to imc london about this...
I was now trying to draft an email and I've read in more detail Pennie's and
Zoe's email. It seems that you've suggested a meeting with them, and that
you are in personal contact with Tony and people anyway. So, it seems a bit
strange maybe for me to formulate an email from a great distance without
knowing exactly what's going on on the ground in London.
So, I think it's best for me to hold back and maybe it's best if you in
London deal with this as you are closer to the action.
It's also a bit difficult for me to draft a response because I don't know
exactly what the concerns and accusations are; I only know what Pennie wrote
in her email.

However, from what I can say; we haven't really done any research on imc
london/uk, although this was originally our intention. All what has been
done so far is Marion's imc london/uk chronology which was properly
introduced and discussed on the imc-uk-process list; see below Marion's
email about this. We are now in the process of discussing how this wonderful
chronology can be made available to the public and the whole imc uk
community in an editable way, i.e. it would be great if this can be hosted
by indy uk so that other people can continue to write this collective
memory. So, this would involve some technical issues (how to implement an
editable database) and some financial issues about how to host the database.
So, we (Sian, Mick, Marion and I) are currently in discussion about these
things and were planning to take this to the wider imc uk community in due
course. There has been delay with this due to the many movements of people
over the summer... But I think we need to push this forward now...

I would agree with Zoe that there is already a lot on the wiki which
explains what we are doing. Obviously this wiki has to become much better,
since this is our main window to the world, and people have the right to
know what exactly we have been up to. So, I think we all need to make sure
the wiki has all up to date information on it etc.

Having said this, all this raises some very important issues, and I think we
could have done better in explaining our project to the indy community,
particularly in the UK. So, I think Marion has some very good points, and I
know that she's been pressing in the early days for us to formally talk more
directly with the indy community. For various reasons this didn't happen
formally, as we preferred a more informal approach working on specific indy
related projects, e.g. the clearerchannel project, Palestine,
re-transmission etc. Looking back I think it has been a real mistake not to
approach Indy more formally/officially, which now needs to be put right I
think. But we all know of course how this has partly come about. We've had
long and heated discussions about our research approach, as we have all been
unsure about how to conduct this research... And right from the start we
have of course been greeted with false accusations and great suspicions from
some individuals. Anyway, I think the time has come that we have to become
much more direct and public about what we are doing. Since it's now already
a discussion item, I think imc uk needs to know - in an email to them -
about us and our project. Again, I really don't think there are many
barriers between 'us' and 'them' as many aspects of our project have
directly involved many indy activists and we've contributed in many ways to
the proliferation of indy activities. In this way I think the many
sub-projects of this research have activist research elements to them. I
think there have been some great sub-projects and hopefully there will be
more. I think there is some stuff that we can be proud of. But of course
there have been many mistakes; so we need to learn from them. I think we now
need to engage with indy Uk/london - if there is any interest on a formal
level - and often my feeling has been that some indy activist are dismissive
of research per se, and this is partly why we've opted for a more
informal/sub-project approach doing things in particular local areas working
with specific indy activists who are generally open to research. I'm all up
for open communication, and go directly to an imc london meeting and
communicate what we've done so far and open some avenues for further action.
This should have happened some time ago, and people have a right to be
suspicious. But I don't think it's all bad what we've done, and in this way
I don't think our research has been 'traditional'. There has been some good
activist stuff coming out of it, and anyway the whole thing is a process.
so, we need to put things right where we've been wrong, but we don't need to
put our heads into the ground. There is still half a year left on this
project and there is still lots to do. So, let's respond to the concerns
raised and move on from there. (I still think email is a terrible medium to
discuss this, so I think it would still be good to have an online chat, but
if some people could directly talk to indy london people that would probably
be best)

Best, steffen