[alt-media-res] FW: Network for social movement and protest researchers analysing the G8 protests in Heiligendamm / Germany 2007

Boehm, Steffen steffen at essex.ac.uk
Mon Feb 5 16:52:18 GMT 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: International forum for discussion and information on social
movements [mailto:SOCIAL-MOVEMENTS at LISTSERV.HEANET.IE] On Behalf Of
Simon Teune
Sent: 05 February 2007 14:23
To: SOCIAL-MOVEMENTS at LISTSERV.HEANET.IE
Subject: Network for social movement and protest researchers analysing
the G8 protests in Heiligendamm / Germany 2007

Please circulate widely!

In the beginning of June the G8 summit will take place on the shores of
the Baltic Sea in Northeastern Germany. This will be accompanied by a
huge number of protests that are being prepared for more than a year
already. Supposedly a lot of protest researchers will be active as well
(or they already are). We think that it might make sense to coordinate
the diverse researchers and researching projects in the run-up of the G8

summit as the complexity of the events might be pretty hard to grasp for

isolated researchers. Moreover, mutual support can reduce a lot of work
and the exchange of different perspectives can be very fruitful not only

for the perception of the protest events but also for a critical
reflection of the own research.
For those who plan to go to the "protest field" there are two proposals:

1. If you are interested we would like to ask you to briefly describe
your research project / interest and send it to Andrea Pabst
(andrea.pabst at gmx.de) und Simon Teune (Teune at wzb.eu) by March 10, 2007.
We then send a list with all incoming e-mails back to the participants.

2. Such a short personal and "professional" introduction would moreover
facilitate the preparation of a meeting that we propose for March 16,
2007 at the Social Science Research Center Berlin / Germany
(www.wz-berlin.de). At this meeting we would like to exchange ideas
about the diverse research projects and discuss possibilities of
cooperation and potential divisions of labor. Please let us know as soon

as possible if you intend to participate as we need to reserve a room
for this meeting etc. (please send an e-mail to andrea.pabst at gmx.de and
Teune at wzb.eu)

Looking forward to an interesting exchange!

Kindest regards,

Andrea Pabst
Simon Teune