[alt-media-res] inquiry about practioner fellowships

Andre Spicer Andre.Spicer at wbs.ac.uk
Sun Jan 7 07:54:22 GMT 2007

how should we respond to this?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
André Spicer
Industrial Relations and Organisational Behaviour
Warwick Business School
University of Warwick
Coventry CV4 7AL
United Kingdom

Andre.Spicer at wbs.ac.uk
+44 (0)24 7652 4513
http://andre.spicer.googlepages.com/home

>>> <mdagnino at yorku.ca> 07/01/07 03:39:42 >>>
Dear Dr. Spicer:

I recently came across your research project on Alternative Media and
Public
Action when researching the ESRC Non-Governmental Public Action
Programme. As
the Programme is accepting applications for practitioner fellowships, I
was
wondering whether you are participating in this program? If you are, I
would be
interested in being considered as a practitioner fellow for your
project.

I am a lawyer based in Toronto, Canada, and am the Co-Director of
Executive
Director of a national social action, non-profit organization called
Youth
Action Network, with over 30,000 members. Our mandate emphasizes social
justice
education and activism, and our focus is on media literacy and
activism, which
encompasses a wide range of activities from resource-gathering to hip
hop dance
workshops. My Master's research was on social movement unionism,
reviewing the
long-standing conflicts between NGOs and trade unions, particularly in
their
role as pluralistic representations of civil society. As my theory has
often
been based on practice, I've also spent several years working on both
sides -
in trade unions as a researcher and co-ordinator, both here and in
Brussels (at
the ICFTU); and with NGOs, as an activist and staff member.

For me, alternative media represents the most viable form of both
activism and
resistance to conspicuous consumption (and will hopefully lead the path
sustainable living). I have several years as a media activist,
particularly
around issues of literacy for young people, and my community experience
has
lead me to believe that creating alternative media has the potential to
create
a tradition of democratic participation. (With an awareness of how
easily it
can also be co-opted). I have an established reputation as a social
justice
activist in Canada, and have a wide range of international experience
(as I'm
originally from Uruguay, I spent my early years in South America, and
have
continued to work in the region over the years).

If you are interested in having a practitioner as part of your project
I would
love to chat further with you about it. I'll obviously forward on any
information you require, and we could schedule a conference call if
that would
be convenient.

Thank you for your time,
Michelle Dagnino

-----

Michelle Dagnino, BA (Spec. Hons), MA, LLB
Executive Director
Youth Action Network
176 John Street, Suite 307
Toronto, ON, M5T 1X5