[Bilstonglen] eviction article

Positive Vibrations positivevibes at riseup.net
Mon Jan 16 15:37:27 GMT 2006

http://news.scotsman.com/scotland.cfm?id=74972006
Monday 16th January 2006
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: text/enriched
Size: 217 bytes
Desc: not available
-------------- next part --------------

Eviction team acts to uproot tree-top road protest camp
KATIE EMSLIE AND GARETH ROSE

THE eviction of protesters living in trees in Dalkeith Park began today
as police and sheriff officers moved in to remove them.

This morning, a specially trained team of eviction officers scaled
trees using ropes and wearing crash helmets to evict the eco-warriors
camping in the park in a bid to thwart work on the Dalkeith Bypass.

An estimated 20 protesters have made makeshift homes in trees, using
ropes and netting, while others have dug tunnels, hoping to prevent the
felling of trees to make way for a ?30 million A68 bypass.

The 20-strong eviction team, brought in from Wales, began the eviction
by cordoning off a clump of trees close to the Thornybank Industrial
Estate in Dalkeith, near Langside Farm, shortly before 8am to remove
four protestors.

Teams of police officers and eviction team members stood at the foot of
the trees surrounded by protest banners with "Save our trees", "No
Bypass" and "Stop the road. Halt greed", written on them.

As a crane waited on standby, officers scaled one of the trees where
protesters wrapped in sleeping bags had wound themselves up in a cargo
net, having used cutting gear to trim some of the lower branches.

By 11am today, one male protestor had left the site of his own accord
and they hoisted down another bearded man wearing a hooded sweatshirt
and he was escorted off carrying his backpack and plastic bags and
driven away in a police van.

Supt Finlay Borthwick of Lothian and Borders Police said: "A man has
been arrested and is expected to appear at Edinburgh Sheriff Court
tomorrow charged with a public order offence."

Another man, from Aberdeen, was still camping up a tree and a fourth
person was chained to a steel trap on the ground which he claimed was
attached to a tunnel.

Authorities today said they believed it would take two weeks to remove
all the eco-warriors and it is estimated the operation will cost up to
?1.4m, or ?100,000 a day.

It is understood that if the protestors descend peacefully, they will
not face charges.

But warrants have now been issued for their removal and in the early
exchanges this morning the group showed no signs of being willing to
leave their posts.

A 43-year-old protester from Midlothian, who would give his name only
as Fudge, said the demonstrators realised they were about to be evicted
when Swansea-registered National Eviction Team (NET) vans were spotted
in Dalkeith town centre yesterday.

Police vehicles were also seen parked in a farm track a few hundred
yards from the Langside protest site overnight.

He said: "We always knew we would get evicted, it's a foregone
conclusion.

"But as long as we have done all that we can do to raise awareness
about what's going on, then it's worth it.

"I'm just a local man forced into direct action.

"I'm not grabbing the limelight but yesterday I went to Dalkeith Police
Station and put myself forward as the liaison person for the team."

He said he had been up all night taking food to protesters in the
different sites.

The specially-trained National Eviction Team is working on behalf of
the Sheriff's Office with the backing of Lothian and Borders Police.

A Scottish Executive spokeswoman said: "They are being given the chance
to move by themselves. If they do not then they will be moved by the
eviction team.

"There have been regular discussions but the protestors have so far
refused to leave the site."

Workmen are on standby to start chopping down trees as soon as the
protestors have been removed to stop the demonstrators returning to the
park and restaging their protest.

The eviction teams are likely to stay on site during day light hours,
and will probably leave at 3pm or 4pm each day.