[blag-whereto] blag.fsf.org ssh down

Alexandre Oliva lxoliva at fsfla.org
Tue Jun 7 09:11:16 UTC 2011

On Jun  6, 2011, Alexandre Oliva <lxoliva at fsfla.org> wrote:

> On Jun  5, 2011, Alexandre Oliva <lxoliva at fsfla.org> wrote:
>> It's still not clear how or even whether it did.  I *might* be related
>> with it: both mentioning in public the vulnerabilities of the system
>> and bind-mounting the repository in /tmp.

> Bernie (FSF admin) tells me the VM host can no longer see the external
> SATA disk that held storage for our VM guest.  He's going to the colo
> site on Monday to see what gives.  This suggests the problem has to do
> with disk failure, rather than any software issue.  Hopefully
> reconnecting the disk will bring it back up, but we cann't rule out the
> possibility that the disk died.  So, please cross your fingers and pray
> to your favorite deity or to the Big Bang ;-)

And so it turned out that the disk could be plugged back in and our
machine booted up fine.

However, tmpwatch had already done its thing, cleaning up everything
that hadn't been accessed for 10+ days within /tmp.  Because of my
bind-mounts of /mnt/blag_repo in the chroot I used for testing inside
/tmp, this amounted to a lot of the ftp repository.

I'm deeply sorry for not thinking of the possibility that tmpwatch would
cause this.

As for recovery of the lost data...  I'm waiting for an answer from
Bernie on whether they do have backups of our system, for he implied
they might have backed it all up recently.

Regardless, I recommend those who know how to rebuild/complete at least
the 140k repostory out of our upstream sources to do so.  I have torrent
seeders running for the final isos, and I have local copies of the
140k-pre isos as well, as well as BLAG-90001-i386.iso, and if it would
help, I'd be glad to upload them.  However, my upstream bandwidth is not
exactly great, so it would be a while.

Again, please accept my apologies for my deeds towards this mess.

Weyasey, it is now time to reach for those rocks.  Please aim carefully.
;-D

:-(