[blag-whereto] running blag from usb key solved

mark harrismh777 at charter.net
Sat Mar 12 17:53:24 UTC 2011

> I am having trouble cominng up with the right combination of root= and
> rootfstype=  settings   also  boot=
>
> So, any help would be appreciated.  I am slightly embarrassed because I
> have be able to put my gNewSense on a usb key and run there, and I
> thought I knew something about the boot process... but apparently, I was
> wrong.   :}

Well, I solved this little dilemma; thought it might help someone
else...
The Fedora usb disk creation utility is broken somehow (I have not had
the time to figure out why) but it creates the syslinux.cfg file
incorrectly... [ root=live:UUID=AE34-5623 ]   is not correct because the
UUID for the usb is wrong. I feel a little silly, but it took me a while
to discover this. The utility is assuming a UUID from some other drive,
but not the usb key it is actually installing to. Changing this line to
read either of the following ways works to get the boot=up to find the
root partition:
root=live:LABEL=FEDORA
root=live:UUID=xxxx-xxxx   <===xxxx-xxxx is the "real" UUID of the usb

The bad UUIDs end up in olpc.fth as well.

Well, alls well that ends well, my BLAG is booting up fine from the usb
key and I am happy as a clam.

Cheers hackers!

--
Kind regards,