[Campaignforrealdemocracy] Public Space, 'Public Service Delivery Plan', Democracy and NCIA

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 13 16:05:23 BST 2009

Dear Sally, James and the rest at Campaign for Real Democracy

Did anyone read recently about Brown's commitment to 'compulsory
volunteerism' or did I just imagine it?

The attached and below is from a colleague at NCIA. Do you have any idea how
we should respond, individually or as a group? Personally I think this is a
great initiative, but wouldn't it be good to put the CRD angle in?

Maybe with a call to the VCS in general to respond to the
clampdown/co-option the NCIA identifies with an even greater commitment to
inclusivity in decision making and action. And maybe for the coalition to
consider if it can make its position on democracy more plain at some point?
Independence is vitally important, but democracy doesn't get mentioned much,
if at all in the leaflet or the list of target topics. Community development
and / or the grassroots representation is quite close though, but shouldn't
it go further?

In addition, maybe another topic could be included, and to which we could
contribute by way of a collation of our group discussions. What I have in
mind is on political literacy. This relates in the NCIA context as a
recogniton of the need for an enlargement, and not further eoncroachment
on  public space of (necessarily independent) contention, rather than spaces
and groups becoming part of a process of co-option. And, linked to this, the
nature of consensus decision making. I was reminded of the 'agonic' question
(ie contention, 'agony' or passionate adversariality being the nature of
'the political' just last night, in a meeting with Teresa Hoskyns and
discussion about the need for an 'agonic sphere' as part of the Right to the
City movement. See, for example
http://books.google.com/books?id=wq1PpO-6dqQC&pg=RA1-PA116&lpg=RA1-PA116&dq=agonic+sphere+mouffe&source=bl&ots=mjh-B7kYU9&sig=WTixVzPArkpnAhFD8GRvMRp53Hg&hl=en&ei=byeESqjyKZS7jAfDz7iRCA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1#v=onepage&q=agonic%20sphere%20mouffe&f=false)

While I come to think of it I will cc this to Teresa.

What do people think. Should / could CRD contribute?

Let me know what you think, and thanks Penny, Andy and Co for the worthwhile
initiative - have a good hol
:-)
Mark