[Campaignforrealdemocracy] Speakers for Right to the City Presentation

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 12 23:18:50 BST 2009

Dear CRD & Project 2012

FYI I've agreed with Francis and Christina at 21st Century Network (21CN)
that we can change the name of the 21CN Civil Rights and Democracy social
action group (of which I am co-ordinator) to the 21CN Campaign for Real
Democracy group, so as to fit with what we are doing here. This makes sense
as the work the Civil Rights group are doing has come to a clearer point of
focus, via Local Sovereignty discussions, and prior to that (in December at
the LSE) Project 2012's event involving Lebfevre's Right to the City and LVT
and, subsequently James' excellent name suggestion!

We've also agreed to do a number of meetups under the 21CN umbrella to
explore the concepts of real (local, consensus) democracy, sovereignty and
right to the city further. One of these meetings will be in Southgate in
Sept / Oct as part of the local democracy project Francis and I are working
on here in N14. A second one will be in central London, also in the autumn,
on a small scale with the idea of test piloting a bigger London wide one for
early 2010.

In a nutshell the proosal for this is (draft only): The 21CN CRD Social
Action Group will be hosting their first mini meetup on the subject of
Lebfevre's The Right to the City. This Meetup will be an introduction to the
concept of The Right to the City, and an exploration of the political and
economic structures necessary to achieve it, and the obstacles that stand in
its way.

*Suggested Speakers: *
Teresa Hoskyns of the London Social Forum
Dave or Heather Wetzel of the Labour Land Campaign
Mark Barrett (or another) of the CRD group and The Campaign for a 21st
Century Constitution (C421)
Someone from Climate Camp

Ideally we'd also get a constitutional lawyer like Anthony King or Geoffrey
Robertson,  or Vernon Bognador, but prob that's for the bigger later
sessions. Can  the people mentioned say if they'd be ok to do this? Dates
will be forthcoming!

Find more info on 21CN at http://www.meetup.com/21stCenturyNetwork/
And on C421 at http://www.peopleincommon.org/C421.html

Cheers