[Campaignforrealdemocracy] Democracy, Justice, Community, Trust

Justin Baidoo-Hackman justinthelibsoc at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 9 19:31:47 BST 2009

The family is not a model of democracy nor justice!

Sorry to make my first email a contentious one but I want to contest Robin's
last email and address his questions:

Is democracy without justice worth having?

Depends who you are and what you define as "justice". I would argue that a
just society has never existed but many societies have claimed to be a
democracy. The athenian democracy was based on slavery and most
"democracies" historically have excluded large sections of people whether by
gender, age, race or economic status.

If you believe that a just society shouldn't discriminate on any or some of
these things then we can say that democracy and justice are not mutually
inclusive.

Must democracy come before justice?
Again it depends on your definition of justice! I would claim that liberty
is dependent on being able not only to act without coercion but also to
enable people to flourish whilst being responsible to themselves and the
community they reside.

Democracy means people rule, if the people don't rule but rather are
instructed by others how they can live... can justice be possible? I think
not.

What's the reality?
I guess that as long as humans are capable of infinite wants on a world with
finite resources. We are perpetually limited by our environment (including
other people). How there is a question of distribution and management of
resources.

It is not true that families are democratic (neither should they be when it
involves minors), there is usually patriarchial hierarchy that decides how
resources are used and can often exploit their children for the parents
gain.

Ah but maybe Robin means the ideal middle class family where the division of
labour has been agreed by the parents and the children grow up into
considerate and responsible adults.

They probably refrain from fee paying education and private tutors as they
want their offspring to learn that applied intelligence and effort rather
than the ability to pay for assistance is how to get ahead. They never fail
to apply the correct punishment and so the appropriate level of praise and
reward to encourage...

Nonsense if you think most people have experienced that. I'm grateful for my
parents but it was quite dysfunctional in modest and always unintended ways.

However we could learn that if we treated all peopple as if they were
extended family, we could get closer to achieving justice. But this would
mean radical change in the economic system we live in. The elites aren't
feeling the brotherly love yet and I doubt they ever will.

Societies are made up of differing and competing interests. Elites have
conflicting interests with the downtrodden this isn't short-termist thinking
it is survival instinct. Survival and maintenance of the elite.

I think communities are built on shared experience and interests. Family is
our first experience of community and it can work or can be repressive.

Building physical communities means more than shared space, it means shared
ownership, responsibility and meaningful communication.

In this environment, democracy and justice can be built.

Your thoughts

Justin