[Campaignforrealdemocracy] Errata Re: Thurs 16th July Localists Union Meeting Fwd:

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 12 07:42:59 BST 2009

One slight amendment - re proposed meeting for a potential Localists Union
and further discussion at Guernica at Whitechapel this may be re-arranged
for *Thurs 30th July instead of 16th*. The seating in the Guernica 'Nature
of the Beast' Gallery takes max 23 people.  Another option is to postpone
the Guernica session until after August.  *Please can people tell me about
their availability and interest* for this, so I can work out who'll be able
to come and when is best?

Also, I propose to make another smaller planning meeting arrangement for a
Monday before then, *say 29th June or 6th July*, at a Vegan Restaurant very
near to Brit Museum in Holborn who've kindly offered to host us. This venue
seats max 10. Preferences/interest for this earlier Monday meeting?

Finally, it's been pointed out to me that my last seven point message  -
which while not being Minutes as such was an attempt at summarising the
points of agreement from Monday 8th - may have included too much info. Is
that the case? Does anyone need to ask any clarifying questions?

Cheers, Mark

2009/6/11 Mark Barrett <marknbarrett at googlemail.com>

> Hi everyone
>
> Following Monday's CRD meeting I've provisionally booked the Guernica space
> for the 16th July for a pre-sponsorship Localists' Union meeting. I know
> some probably some can't make it, but does that sound ok, or are there any
> major clashes I should be aware of? Some draft action points that came out
> of the meeting are set out below this mail.
>
> Please let me know if you plan to attend on the 16th, or any other helpful
> comments.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark
>
> *Draft Statement about Real Democracy*
>
> Real democracy means, at the minimum, completely open community based
> decision making run broadly on consensus principles having the final say on
> everything that happens in that community
> a few notes
>
> what is a community - communities define themsleves and can be virtual
> as well as real, people can be part of many communities but it is up to
> communities themsleves how they define membership and what rights
> different kinds of members might have (e.g. only residents have a right
> to block proposals). However, The CRD will focus on helping small
> geographical based communities where there are disputes between members
> of the community and current governing institutions to define
> themselves, increase participation / legitimacy use that to resist
> unwelcome activity and take postive actions for the benefit of the
> communities.
>
> *CRD Draft Action Points of Consensus*
>
> (1) To support one or more local community struggles in London, and where
> possible help them develop towards the self-governing 'real democracy' /
> local sovereignty project we've been considering at 2012, in a way that
> suits them. To offer them info, skills to share and connections with other
> local/democratic community groups in London and elsewhere.
>
> (2) To map and support local struggles that can be supported in this
> way, and to connect the group with local groups and local groups with
> one another, in practical solidarity
>
> (3) To build mainstream trust in the idea of community, and in a different,
> emancipatory way of organising society
>
> (4) To invite groups and individuals calling for democratic community to
> form a properly constituted Localists' Union, (but not limited to that -
> see (D) below), with a few simple, uniting campaign demands, possibly:
>
> (A) the demand for a community building to be given over, in every
> neighbourhood to be run by the community around it
> (B) the demand for land in and around cities to be ring fenced for new,
> intentional democratic communities to be realised
>
> But also (C) a commitment to consider key questions about
> superstructure, for example regarding the taxation system, and other
> structural changes that may be necessary to support the developmenty of
> democratic communities, everywhere.

> [...]

"We hear men speaking for us of new laws strong and sweet /Yet is there no
man speaketh as we speak in the street.”