[Campaignforrealdemocracy] [project2012] August 15th

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 25 19:59:04 BST 2009

>I am glad that the plan is for the Parliament Fields [Hampstead Heath]
picnic to go ahead.  We need to focus on Democracy - be it local or
national.

Yes, and don't we need to work together to offer activism to people who do
not want to do actions "against" but who yearn for a different world. If we
want a mass movement we need to show what we are for and that this is about
liberation not just shutting reactionary stuff down, important thought that
is it is just battle as distinct from war. Sometimes it seems to me that
influential people on the left are not actually serious about winning. We
are so very good at showingh what we are against, but this tactic on its own
seems to keep us in a ghetto, or at best always doing single issue work,
and sometimes even giving extra publicity to our enemies*. If only we could
work so well with our friends on the same side of barricade we might
actually change the whole thing.

But for the 15th to be big we need to promote it from now on. Who's up for
helping with this? If we get it right - and the weather works for us - it
can be quite big, will reach out beyond the usual activist circles, and with
blank banners, very symbolic. Shall we have a Monaday meeting at the Vegan
Cafe Panda found for us say Monday 6th? Specifically to plan the picnic? Who
else is up it - not just coming but helping promote and vision it? We need
to make it clearer what it's about, make and distribute fliers, contact
newspapers and London listings people - lots! I can also get the
peopleincommon.org site updated with info once we've done the basics. Monday
6th meeting?
* about danger of giving any kind of publicity to the BNP, see today's
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/jun/24/bnp-race-watchdog-court-action
but I
do support any block to their activities - it's just a shame when
they manage to make hay from it. On the subject of historical precedent,
someone sent me this a month or so back "It is imperative that we learn from
experience.  The eclectic Popular Front of the 1930s against fascism failed
to prevent WW2 and Hitler's rise to Germany in 1933 in the first place was a
failure of the social democrats and communists to form a united class front
against the nazis thus betraying the workers in their rank-and-file and
their supporters"

I think a democracy picnic can help with this. But also we need to work with
the anarchist and union movement, and build a strong vision and
organised movement for democracy / community sovereignty, or some such.
Yes?

Much to do :-)  Monday 6th July - Planning Meeting: Big Democracy Picnic,
venue tbc. Please help!

Mark
2009/6/