[Campaignforrealdemocracy] [project2012] TASKS - campaign for real democracy, what can you help with?

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Tue May 19 10:52:30 BST 2009

hi

i've only just begun to get started on this (contacting groups). in a way i
don't know where to start but i hope to get some momentum in coming weeks
(basically i've started to make a list of people/groups i need to make
contact with, to ask them to get involved and also who else they know who
might be interested).

i mentioned the idea briefly at yesterday's 'grassroots democracy and direct
action' civic forum conference (which unfortunately i could only make the
tail end of) and there was definitely interest. shame i couldn't have been
there all day.

to have our group advertised in their next newsletter we'd need to have a
meeting date and place arranged and send the info by next wed (a week
tomorrow). hilary wainwright was there, and she;s definitely interested in
what we're up to and could possibly promote in red pepper.

so: A. ideas for good people to contact / help with getting people on new
campaign list via james very welcome

B about venue we could use housmans for a first meeting, will investigate
donations set up there. also will ask student groups re unis.

C suggest 1st meeting for a monday in about one months time. ideally
followed by weekly / bi-weekly, same venue

D. plus maybe a picnic later in summer, say one august day on parliament
hill, to get to know more socially and overlook all of london.

sound ok?

mark

2009/5/18 james holland <james at dogmanet.org>

> tasks
>

> the main task it to get a good group of 10 or 12 people on the
> campaignforrealdemocracy list who are interested in pushing forward the
> idea of helping local communities to set up consensus based, democratic
> 'councils' these should be from 2 groups
>
> 1) locally based campaigns that might themselves have an interest in
> moving on to setting something like this up in their area
> 2) areas that are already doing something similar
> 3) people involved in consensus based groups or projects that want to
> take the idea of consensus democracy further
>
> with the idea of getting these people together for meeting in the next
> fee weeks.
>
> 4) arrange the first meeting
>

> mark is working on 1 - he's contacting many campaigns in london and (i
> think) asking them if this is something they might be interested in and
> getting someone to join the group / or agree to come to a meeting. I
> guess he could do with some help on this as there are LOADS of campaigns
> all over the country.
>
> 2) I've been in touch with people from the marsh farm outreach project
> (i've added them to this list), which seems to have a vision of bottom
> up democracy, this could inlcude traditional 'intentional communities'
> or any other democratic projects - so if anyone knows of similar
> projects out there we need to know as their experience / insights will
> be invaluable.
>
> I am working on 3) - mostly within the climate camp and and other forums
> where people might be involved in consensual democracy - i could do with
> suggestions, so if you know any groups (or individuals from groups)that
> work by consensus and might be interested in extending this, please me
> let know
>
> 4) i know some people are investigating venues etc for a meeting - i
> guess any suggestion or offers of help would be useful
>

> --
>

> James Holland
>
> http://risingclevel.blogspot.com/

Petition to Abolish Tax Havens
http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/tobintaxnow/

In all fighting, the direct method may be used  for joining battle, but
indirect methods will be needed in order to secure victory. Indirect
tactics, efficiently applied, are inexhaustible as Heaven and Earth,
unending as the flow of rivers and streams; like the sun and moon, they end
but to begin anew; like the four seasons, they pass away to return once
more. Sun Tzu
https://lists.riseup.net/www/subscribe/peopleincommon

'A people's art is the genesis of their freedom'.
Claudia Jones