[Campaignforrealdemocracy] Anon Fwd: some thoughts

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Tue May 19 21:57:44 BST 2009

 Hi

Some thoughts:

On Thursday 7 May the 'No2EU - Yes to Democracy' campaign declared its full
slate of candidates for the 4 June European electon. The campaign is running
throughout Britain and will be the only left challenge standing nationally
to the establishment and far right parties.
The campaign is opposed to the European Union Lisbon Treaty and attacks on
democracy from the EU and is pro workers' rights and public services, and
firmly opposed to the racist poison of the BNP.

Among the candidates on the No2EU slate are Bob Crow, general secretary of
the rail workers' union RMT, human rights lawyer John Hendy, former Coventry
MP Dave Nellist, Dyal Singh Bagri, president of the Indian Workers
Association, Scottish Solidarity's Tommy Sheridan, Lindsey Oil Refinery
workers and seven executive committee members from the unions Unison, FBU
and RMT.
They are joined by other experienced trade union, environment and community
activists from every region.

This is a very respectable gathering of figures.

So first thing about a Campaign for Real Democracy, supported by climate
camp and g20 meltdown is where they stand on this group and should they be
allied. To be distinctive probably calls for a separate organisation such as
CRD, affiliation can come later. However, a non-aligned group away from the
usual suspects might well be a good thing. So if CRD is to be something new
it must give priority to local struggles (school closures, no2id and liberty
campaigns around deportations, climate camps) as well as the bigger picture
(EU, imperialist wars, global campaigns). To effect this in London, social
forums need to be established over general and specific issues. I mean
thrashing out paths to and goals of "real democracy", ie basic principles of
movement.

There may be a problem with the democracy word. So a name change should be
in the offing, what exactly, I'm not sure. My point is something different
makes a difference. Parliament is a huge issue but so are local factors
Non-aligned groups must have first a coherent rationale for the way forward.
Society is on the edge, forthcoming cuts will trash education, health and
community support. Those disaffected with all this need support for their
actions. This is all a big big issue, at present all I can say is, Let the
Debate begin, Act on the streets, Establish social forums, Link with the
strugglers, Side with the downtrodden.

Keep away completely from the black faced anarchists and any who may
besmirch your efforts, whether intentionally or as a result of being
clueless pissed up or disturbed losers.

These are some ideas of a way forward. Wish you and the people with you the
best !