[Campaignforrealdemocracy] PS Re: crd strategy

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 9 23:16:02 GMT 2009

Hi Malcolm

Thanks for themessage about Devolve! PIease do keep me posted. A lot of
thinking and discussion has gone on at CRD about local structures. which
would/could presumbly be relevant to spring event you mention aswell as TT.
Also, is it the same initiative or related to this sent from George Morran?

Also, I'd be interested to put it all in context of constitution but also
international element ie EU of the regions, radical localism at
neighbourhood level. See* below.

Looking forward to hearing back.

Mark

"Could be interested.The Campaign for the English Regions. is about
establishing democratic government based on the English Regions.This
includes

Downsizing  and refocusing Westminster and Whitehall on UK business

Transferring as much  Power and Representation from London to the English
Regions and very local govt.

Voting Reform

Localising Economic and Political activity

If this connects with what you have in mind please let me know

George Morran

Secretary CFER
Vice Chair Localisation West Midlands"

2009/11/9 Malcolm Currie <dmc at globallylocal.net>

> I think I mentioned Woody Wood and "Devolve!", who are holding a low key
> consultation on 28th of this month.
>
> There is a larger scale event planned by Devolve! with the West Mercia
> group - i.e. those still promoting the idea of the old major regions which
> once made up the ancient kingdoms of Britain.
>
> I'm not clear about the latter, but certainly the event planned for Spring
> may be of interest to you, as it aims to tackle issues around local
> democratic structures.
>
> I'll ask Woody to copy you in on that one, as the dates may clash.
>
> Malcolm

* The EU state is being born, like it or not. How will the polity shape its
destiny?

Whether your local area starts by campaigning for a collectively owned
democratic run street market, or a social centre, or full autonomy over the
licensing of shops, or about decisions relating to use of empty houses, or
other forms of shelter/land access in the area, self-build or whatever, the
important thing is to recognise that first steps towards full human autonomy
in the EU or elsewhere lie down this path, and  not some reactionary
kneejerk nationalism. Especially not in this time, when the challenges we
face need more joined up inter -  national co-operation, whether at the EU
level or worldwide, and, crucially, at the same time, RADICAL LOCALISM.

At both levels, this is about equality, inclusion and consensus. Equality,
inclusion and consensus between nations, rich and poor at the transnational
level, and between individuals, rich and poor loccally. That is where
progressive politics lies, for national leaders forging new systems of
global governance to deal with climate, poverty and economic disparity and
for local activists and others instigating real democracy cellls in each and
every neighbourhood to ensure real power is with ordinary folk, one day
everywehere.

EU citizens looking to get their teeth into something would do well to
remember the Zapatistas; localities democratically controlled by the people
who live and work there and Local Agenda 21 and their politics should have
that at the heart of their purposes. The people of Europe as elewhere should
have sovereign powers, they cannot tell other communities what to do, but
would operate under a universal constitution that applies  to all world
communities which, while not in any way infringing on the communities
freedom to produce their own culture, at the same time would guarantee
fundamental civil rights such as inclusivity, equality, non-sectarianism,
compassion to all life forms and a commitment to solidarity to all other
neighbourhood struggling to express their democratic identity on the same
terms. That is what we should be dedicating our energies to as grassroots
activists..

The EU project presents us with special possibilities and duties to workl
together so I would like to invite LSF members to put on some events 2010 in
the context of our search for a really universal, yet at the same time
authentically European (yet also global) nationhood / identity and then take
the ideas to ESF in Turkey in June. We need to fight together for the right
to build the new society in the ashes of the old one,beyond state and
market; a programme for a space in which real democracy can grow.

Here are a couple of good articles in the mainstream UK press about EU /
need for new constitution /  UK and universal issues of freedom, that may be
of relevance
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/guest_contributors/article6906694.ece
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/guest_contributors/article6905283.ece

IN a nutshell: people of Europe let's pls stop skirting the issue of local
sovereignty!

Mark