[Campaignforrealdemocracy] [project2012] Re: Passing Clouds Real Democracy Meeting

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 26 21:44:57 GMT 2009

Hi Jocelyn, Space Girl, and Everyone

Space Girl the contact number for Passing Clouds is 07903 443 849

Thanks all for coming last night, and to everyone that made it possible. And
if it was your first time to a CRD, welcome to the Project 2012 /  Real
Democracy email discussion / planning lists! (there are two just to keep
everyone on their toes. The first, Project 2012 is an open discussion list
started to consider and organise an effective coalition for a new
constitution, civil rights and democracy in time for 2012. Why 2012? Well,
some say there is something in the air for that date, to do with the earth
and the calendar and a new age. But whatever the case, it gives us something
to aim for. The other, Campaign for Real Democracy is a lower traffic list
ONLY concerned with posts about real democracy so if you find the traffic at
2012 is too much for you, subscribe to CRD by emailing James at  <
james at dogmanet.org>

For those who didn't make it last night we had a very positive,
convivial meeting, as you should be able to see from Jocelyn's note below
:-)

And for thos that had to go, after the meeting a number of ideas were
continued in smaller group discussion, one of which was: if the town hall
idea does fly for the General Election,  one way of it working could be if
different groups were invited to organise different activities at different
times, all synchronised to be taking place at the same times at town halls
across London / UK. So, for example, there could be a food share across the
city / country at 12 noon. And then Jocelyn your activities could be
synchronised across more than one place at, say 1pm. Thomas, who organised
the 7 Tangos at 7 different London locations on 7/7 anniversary could maybe
do the same thing at 2. And Sylvia of the amazing looking group
http://www.theworldmarch.org/ suggested that as her network had recently
been organising renditions of Imagine at various capital cities, that could
maybe also be organised. And maybe climate camp could be persuaded to do
their still to be decided / suggested burning of the ballot books (kind of
like a bonfire of the vanities, real democracy style) at the town halls too.
Other groups might want to do something more confrontational, for example a
climate rush type activity, or a non-violent blockade or an occupation. And
so the idea of lots of different activities, some quite organised and
synchronised, so we can provide the public and the press with at least a
partial time table of interesting attractive activities that the different
groups would  want to put on. This idea reminded me of the Zapatista call
out of autumn last year at which the idea of a "global festival of dignified
rage" was suggested. Maybe we could call it something similar. Or just
"crazy demonstration" as per Fela Kuti's interpretation :-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usnznJZ0XvA

Anyway, welcome again and I'll keep chatting to others about this. Please
spread the word to whatever groups you think might be amenable at this
point.

And please let's have more conversation here about any of the points raised
last night. Especially would like to hear from Rich with more info on his
interesting suggestion about how to make representatives do out bidding (and
thereby transform the relationship into one more akin to a delegate
function)..

Love
Mark
PS I forgot to give out the flier last night but there is one attached.
Please feel free to forward it or print out / pass on.