[Campaignforrealdemocracy] CRD update from southwark and lewisham

Matthew Scott Matt at communitysectorcoalition.org.uk
Fri Oct 23 14:27:39 BST 2009

Hi All

I heard John Denham Secretary of State talk about localism the other day at the RSA and it was completely about the role of local authorities delivering public services.

I asked him what happened to double devolution and why he didn't focus more (at all in fact) on communities as being a local entity in their own right, and something distinct from the local state and services?  He said it was catered for elsewhere in their policy thinking which is true, but why not make the link explicit?  Community does not equate to the council and localism has to be more than just what services you are consulted on. My guess is that the election campaigning starts early and public services are the battleground for our politicians.

The reason why I mention this is because it shows how the rhetoric of localism and devolved democracy all too often gets used to invoke radical change, and then instead becomes about what the council needs to do about services.

I think services are important, as is the local council, but I think we want to see a more than that as a campaign for real democracy and it is really hard to get councils off this narrow vision and engage with a more grassroots concern about democracy not as a means to have a conversation on services, but as something valuable in itself.

My concern with local assemblies is, whilst I think they are useful spaces, they can also be easily taken away, because what is created by a council can also be closed down, but also the service delivery mantra can be overpowering and we need to create our own agendas, not be told that it is all about housing, transport, health, safety, education, environment and here are the indicators we want to achieve etc and here's a few bits of small change to tidy up the local park

Best wishes to all

Matt

Matthew Scott

CSC Director

020 7336 9461

Work mobile: 07827 258411

Website: www.communitysectorcoalition.org.uk

This message is intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately by return e-mail and delete this e-mail and all attachments from your system.