[Campaignforrealdemocracy] New World Values - Thoughts?

Barry Fineberg barry at fineberg.co.uk
Tue Sep 8 15:03:04 BST 2009

Hello Mark,

Your latest thinking on essential values and democratic control prompts my hopefully useful response. The essence of your splendid vision (08.09.09) closely reflects what I believe is the scope and the promise of my work on spatial order. This defines an underlying 'natural history' of human settlement patterns, in ordered groups local to global, their consequential self managing dynamics contained and defined by natural limits ( Chrystallers' Central Place Theory). These limits demand readoption as a frame of reference for democratic change at the lowest and subsequent delegated levels, to contest and to harness the many forces beyond the comprehension and control of civil society today (Subsidiarity Principle). The natural spatial disciplines so mapped must be brought to bear on current disorder, bringing a scope for corresponding social, political and economic reconfiguration.

The agents of change needed will I am sure be already imbued with your agreed common values,of truth, justice and mutual concern, but the wider public expression of such values might only be encouraged and enabled by the initial prospect for, and hopeful realisition of, safe, secure, therapeutic environments for family and community, for which historical models abound. The patterns and the processes needed for that change are I believe implicit in my evidence to the House of Commons Health Committee, January 2007, to be found in Google under my name. The social mobilisation called for to give life to such vision would not be practical however if it were to look only to existing governance with its current encumbrances.The way forward however must instead lie in the 'open source' web based dialogues of which you are already part, ordered by local territories and their scope for 'virtual communities', suitably mapped, platforms and arenas for local action.

The most practical level of intervention in this hierarchy of spatial territories must however be at urban townships, their clusters and local catchments, the most tangible fixed points in an otherwise continuous, unmanageable sea of urban variables. Such common ground is the most stable and manageable citizen group, in common focus around their High Streets and Market Places, within which the more fluid patterns of local neighbourhood may then be enabled and activated. Giving voice to and engaging local citizens through such processes has I believe a scope for influence on existing electoral and representative processes in which local power may soon be enhanced or attained through incremental, evolutionary change.

If wider,complex forces for change are however to be fully harnessed in all their multiple forms,and in their diversity of interest, a framework for consensus and for mutual action may I believe only be found, in that same common focus, through the social harnessing of market forces which spatial order makes possible, through graduated sets of partial, communal autonomies. The gradual subordination of wider authority to more 'local states' on common ground might only become a reality if it is seen not as a threat to current establishments but as a bulwark to and consolidation of those organisational functions with which they otherwise struggle in a mass society, the better achievement of a 'common good'.

Cordially yours,

Barry Fineberg.