[Campaignforrealdemocracy] New World Values - Thoughts?

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 8 07:43:59 BST 2009

Sorry, my first attempt  was a shockinly bad grammar.. Was typing while at
work and a bit distracted. Have edited and I hope made clearer below.
Earlier, we agreed three 'new world' values: Truth. Justice and
Love/Compassion (we couldn't exactly agree on the last)

I'd like to propose a second, *'the democratic control of resources'. *

This is huge, as by definition it starts at the bottom and goes right the
way up to the top.

So, 'democratic control of resources' would range from the collective,
inclusive control of each neighbourhood (but with decision making / morality
operating, thanks to the first three values of T, J&C, with the whole planet
in mind) to the global. In this way, we would not only be in control of our
neighbourhoods but also, with other communities the world over, we would
also be powerful enough to set the overall direction of globalisation. Think
global act local, and the other way around too. Obviously, there will be an
important middle-step in the process of takinng control of globalisation,
which will be the seizing of control, by the people, of the region, nation
and continent too. These developments, which would be driven from the bottom
up by ordinary people in common cause, would bring about a new era, which we
might call 'democratic globalisation'.

If each local community was seen to be a potential world in itself (many
other worlds, aswell as another world, is/are possible) democratic
globalisation could relate to the process of including everyone in the local
area in consensus and regular decision making, aswell as, one day also being
made to take the needs of each and every community, and the planet in mind.

If truth justice and  compassion can be seen as a kind of democratic
consciousness, meaning congnizance of the need to look after each other life
form, socially politically economically and in recognition of the
fundamental interconnectedness, but also with a very practical agenda to
seize power and thereby reduce carbon emissions by LOCALIZING, would that
not be essentially the knottiest part of the problem of environmental
degradation, solved? Aswell, presumably, poverty and war?

Isn't *'the democratic control of resources'* what the best of both left
(fighting corporate power ) and right (fighting the big state) agree upon?

Obviously what it means in practical terms will vary depending on the
context. It might, for example, include the idea that rental income on all
privately owned land should go into the public purse, as suggested by
Robin, aswell as the necessary new political structures giving direct
control of neighbourhoods [Local Sovereignty] to people and, through
delegation likewise the policy of regions, nations, continents and the whole
world.

But to start with, can find this as a point of agreement?

So, to add to the first point:

(1) Truth, Justice and Love/Compassion [already agreed]
(2) Democratic Control of Resources, on every level (from neighbourhood to
planet-wide)

What do people think - is this, *the democratic control of resources a *good
next step after Truth, Justice and Compassion?
Can we start here and build our ideas, for a democratic globalisation, on
top?

Apologies of any of this is unclear - I don't have much time on-line at the
moment to finesse and edit.

Thoughts?

Mark