[Campaignforrealdemocracy] [project2012] Community Networking

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 14 23:04:29 BST 2009

Hi again Matt

Thanks for this. About the first part of what you say, I can see how there
is an overlap/potential synergy between what is being expected / aimed for
(albeit with justified scepticism) among policy makers and watchers, and
what some of us are proposing by way of a bottom up agenda for democratic
localists and wider/higher/deeper democratic processes & transparency. And
yes, I bet the contract culture - or managerialism?  - is really making it
difficult for independence and genuinely democratic structures to be
sustained and /or emerge. Would be great to find ways to engage with your
network on this problem, aswell as to explore possible misconceptions about
the wider activist community (btw, to my mind these misconceptions are
probably mirrored in the activist community, who sometimes seem to me so
purist and ideologically driven, which is to say sectarian as to exclude all
possibilities of chatting and learning from other sections of civil
society)

So yes let's move it forward with some constructive chatting and engagement.
If CRD/Project 2012 members - and the ideas they've been developing and
members of your CSC (Voluntary and Community Sectors) can be given the
opportunity explore the idea of unionising around 'real democracy policy
objectives' while at the same time dispelling some of the misunderstandings
you refer to, well, I think that would be grand.
One other domestic group I should refer to is PNUK or the Planners Network
UK who are now working on a gathering in November around a broad
anti-supermarkets being parachuted in to local communities without their
say-so pro-democracy agenda. There are quite a few academics, aswell as some
of the more thoughtful activists in that grouping and I think they might be
amenable to some of these ideas. Also, Friends of the Earth have recently
disbanded a lot of their LA21 / Ecological Justice through Rights
based work so apparently there are quite a few experienced, disgruntled
activists looking to get their teeth into something. Would be great to have
CSC (and NCIA) represented along with CRD at the Autumn meeting so I will
keep you posted on that.

About the geography of this, well, I am keen to see a union that takes place
on national - and ideally also international, europe-wide and even beyond -
 lines, but I do think that London/other city-wide networks are perfectly
good, and may even be better in some ways depending on how events pan out.
If people can unite across cities, but also at the same time find ways to
unite the cities without leaving out the rural areas then we are on to
something. There is, as always a diversity of decent strategies. But however
it occurs I do think if we can build something with national reach that
would be great. But I definitely don't think we should allow ourselves to be
limited here. The way the state operates from one nation to another may be
different but my instinct is that the kind of structures we need in order to
create a really democratic society must be universal, and so a union for
real democracy won't mean much if it can't transcend local (by which I mean
national) conditions, while at the same time engaging effectively with all
of them. The EU project - which, after all, has it's own set of 'national
conditions' which go alongside the varied conditions of its
member nation-states -   i crying out for a people powered movement; and to
extend even further for a moment there are ancestral lands and independent
cultures (including, again in the EU, the Roma) that need solidarity and
protection worldwide. Our considerations must be wide enough to engage all
of this while still maintaining relevance at the macro level. No mean task!

But obviously we need to start somewhere, and crucially with the national -
ie English, British etc - conditions we are stuck with. Sorry if that is too
much of a wide answer but it's a tricky question.

What do you, and others think?

Mark