[Campaignforrealdemocracy] [project2012] Community Networking

Matthew Scott Matt at communitysectorcoalition.org.uk
Mon Sep 14 12:27:01 BST 2009

Mark

Happy to try and see about this

Yes there is a body of people who have this interest, which would include the CSC (Community Sector Coalition) members - in particular your 5 points connect with two areas that are live for the voluntary / community sector - namely the work in part sponsored by DEFRA and related statutory bods on climate change (where there is frustration and hope in equal measures about going beyond narrow top down and individual behaviour change models to collective action and social justice rooted action; and also the democracy / localism angle is for me, absolutely key to what the community sector is all about, albeit the contract culture / service delivery mantra has created a division in our sector so that increasingly voluntary sector groups define themselves in narrow professional criteria which is not helpful.

Taking it forward, one thing is how geographically located is this union of democratic localists?  Is it primarily London?  That will make a difference - CSC is national and because I live in London I have range of local contacts here.  Secondly I think the voluntary / community sector identity can take a bit of working through, which will need a bit of attention.  Personally I connect what I do in the sector in very broad social terms whereby everything relates to political structures but I believe it is sadly often the case that community / voluntary sector workers struggle to make the connections with wider activist campaigns being the same common cause as theirs; so in order to reap the benefits a bit of chatting through how it all fits together, where goals and objectives unite is usually required so everyone gets it.  All a bit obvious but worth considering.  I am keen to take this forward so lets follow up soon

Matt

Matthew Scott

CSC Director

020 7336 9461

Work mobile: 07827 258411

Website: www.communitysectorcoalition.org.uk

This message is intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately by return e-mail and delete this e-mail and all attachments from your system.