[Campaignforrealdemocracy] direct democracy through the back door

mark corbin mark.corbin at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 12:41:44 UTC 2010

Hi all,

Agree with James that the technology only supports a community, its the
human network side of things that makes it work or not.
Thanks for the link to the metagovernment wiki, had not come across that
before, looks really interesting.

For examples already existing in the uk, there's a candidate in Hackney,
Denny de la Haye (@getavote)
(http://getavote.org<http://getavote.org/pages/main/home>) who
is standing on a mandate to vote precisely however constituents instruct
him. He is using the online site  www.virtualparliament.org which is trying
to be a forum for ideas and discussion.

Tamsin Osmond's campaign (www.tothecommons.com), is based around these ideas
also, and is on the look out for a similar kind of more localised platform.

Interestingly, Ann Widdecombe tried out some of these ideas for the bbc
programme the people's politician.  She had a website with polls on etc, and
participation was exceedingly low, partly at least because she herself
admitted she wouldn't let them influence what she voted on!

So you need both the network and real buy-in from the
politician/decision-makers concerned.

The other way to go about it is to create such a site that community groups
can use to hold their own discussions, get others in the community on board,
vote on ideas etc and then use them to demonstrate support/put pressure on
decision-makers.

The organisation I work for, and luckily for me is aligned to my interests
and those of this group, is still developing and refining a different take
on an online platform for ideas and discussion.  It is built using symphony
(php based), and anyone will be able to set up groups on the site, hold
discussion and get community  ideas, ask questions and quick polls to the
whole of the rest of the community.   We also work with councils and local
government, (and could do with politicians and others) to help them start to
use it, run initial 'conversations' and build that community, allowing them
to involve residents.

There are obviously a lot of challenges to be addressed, and we are looking
at various ways to make sure that  we don't exclude non-internet users, for
instance linking it with offline events

As I say, current plans are that groups will be able to set up for free
(from around June).  Users can sign up now (www.izwe.com.  friend me - my
user name is mark) but there is a lot of work to be done so please be
patient with it!  And submit any ideas and thoughts using the feedback tab.

In the future we are looking at taking advantage of all sorts of innovative
web functionality such as generating community maps, document reviewing,
improving information-gathering and surveying functionality.  Similarly, if
there ideas you have for such a platform, please send them over, talk about
them here and I will pass them on, or give me a ring on 0207 608 0815.

sorry for the length...

Mark

contact me via:
email, obviously