[Campaignforrealdemocracy] Dear CRD / Project 2012 Members - Request for Statements on PAs / Agenda / Publicity

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 17 21:03:23 UTC 2010

    Dear CRD / Project 2012

Thank you for your support so far for the Dec 11th Building Peoples
Assemblies event. There's already some positive interest in the
project, plus a good number of registrations and some great ideas being put
forward.

As part of our preparations and to help raise further interest, we
have three requests for you as individual members of CRD/ Project 2012 think
and act tanks:

*(1) Your Ideas on Peoples Assemblies *
Could you give us a few words on why you or your group think a PA organising
meeting is a good idea in the present political climate, and / or what the
PA concept means to you? We'd like to use your words on our website, if
that's possible please send us a few words and tell us in what capacity we
should refer to you if we publish.

*(2) Developing Dec 11th Meeting Agenda*
In addition to the statement on what PAs mean to you could you also send any
further suggestions for the meeting agenda?  eg concrete action suggestions
for the future or any other thing you think we should
include, please email me! In addition: we shall be holding an informal and
open Dec 11th / Agenda planning meeting, next week. This will probably take
place on Tues 23rd Nov from around 5.30pm in the Lucas Arms, although there
is a clash there with Clegg demo. Will email separately about this but also
please email me privately if you'd like to come along.

*(3) Distributing Invitation *

If you haven't already, please can you distribute the invitation
(below) within your group, and also if possible further afield?

Cheers :-)

Mark

*Liberation: Beyond Resistance
Building a People's Assemblies Movement
*Saturday 11th December 1-5pm
Birkbeck College

globalisation, we are now witnessing the rise of social movements from
across the political spectrum in Britain, Europe and beyond. But how can
this popular discontent be transformed into an emancipatory political
movement?

It is the view of many activists that a very different form of mobilisation,
and a new kind of politics aimed at changing the balance of power is now
urgently required. Taking inspiration from last year's Climate Justice
Action (CJA) mobilisation in Copenhagen, and the many spontaneous calls made
there - and elsewhere - for a new movement based on People's Assemblies, the
following planning meeting is now being convened.

Please note: this meeting will involve an open discussion about People’s
Assemblies, and what they can do, but the *main aim is to plan future action
together.
*
*Liberation: Beyond Resistance
Building a People's Assemblies Movement
11th December 1-5pm
Room M417, Malet Street, Birkbeck College, WC1E 7HX
*A draft agenda for the 11th will be developed, with those registered at
www.peoplesassemblies.org (site still under development, sorry for any
mistakes!)

* ALL WELCOME & PLEASE FORWARD THIS INVITATION
*
Supported (so far) by:
Organisations
The Right to Work Campaign
Progressive Forum of Pakistan
West African Youth and Environmental Justice group JVE
A World to Win
Meltdown
Reclaiming Spaces
London Climate Camp
South Coast Climate Camp
Climate Alliance UK
Democracy Village
People in Common
Community Sector Coalition
Campaign for Real Democracy / Project 2012
Factory Theatre

Individuals
Bill Bowring (human rights lawyer)
Bruce Kent (President Pax Christi)
Ted Knight (ex leader of Lambeth Council)