[Campaignforrealdemocracy] Fwd: support to Israel´s Camps

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 4 21:59:12 UTC 2011

Here is a report in today's Guardian, it's worth reading in full, but which
includes:

"An opinion poll earlier this week said 91% of the Israeli public backed the
campaign. The widespread support, according to Shaffir, is the result of
consensus-building: "Many of us have made a lot of compromises on our own
ideologies to gain consensus. We have put egos aside, and agreed not to talk
about more political issues, like the Israeli-Palestinian conflict or
settlements. We have said: 'Let's focus on something that will bring
everyone together,' – and it's worked."

When a group of rightwing nationalists from West Bank settlements came to
Tel Aviv earlier this week to promote settlement expansion as a solution to
the housing problem, Shaffir was firm in telling them they were welcome to
join the debate but "settlements are not part of the Israeli consensus, and
so are not part of the solution that has to work for everyone". "

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/aug/04/tel-aviv-tent-city-protesters

in spain and greece there is a lot of concern about how to relate to israeli
camps (because of silence on palestine issue)

A comrade has told me, for example:

"We are discussing this same issue in many assemblies here in Spain. I agree
that it is necesary to ask the israeli people, in a gentle and friendly way,
about their position in such an important problem [about the Palestinian
occupation]. Otherwise, I have many friends in Is...rael who are against the
ocupation and the wall, and they tell me that the palestinian problem is
started to be discussed in small groups in some israeli camps. They advice
me that israeli society is still not mature to create a mass movement for
the end of ocupation, it has been a taboo there for many years (I´ve been in
Palestine and I can tell you that this is completely true), so we can´t
force them too much with this point. So, we have to be clever and
compassive. I would like to proceed in this way: support israeli
movilizations, and in the same way, remember then that this is an
international movement, we are creating a brotherhood of peoples. And
because that, they can´t ignore the suffering of their palestians
neighbours. They should empatize and help them, and together figure out a
solution, a real and fair solution, to their common problems. Don´t blame
israeli people, just help them to open their eyes!!."
See also
http://www.peoplesassemblies.org/2011/08/israeli-protests-arab-spring-meets-jewish-summer/where
i am collating reports (would be great to have help with this website
if anyone would like to give us a hand in fishing for content, ot to
programme it further, pls get in touch)
 --
Apathy is Dead
http://www.flickr.com/photos/solarider/5254770064/#/photos/solarider/5254770064/lightbox/