[Campaignforrealdemocracy] UK: Sat 25th Online Meeting Report / Next Steps

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Sat Jul 2 22:55:51 UTC 2011

*Pls also note: there will be an General People's Assembly of indignados
tomorrow Sunday 3rd July in Trafalgar Square from 6pm. Speakers from Greece,
Spain, UK & elsewhere - all welcome pls spread the word!   X *

Dear All

~ Attached pls find Minutes from Sat 25th on-line meeting, courtesy of
Jonathan (Liverpool 15M)
~ Next meeting Saturday July 9th 7pm same venue ( http://15m.speeqe.com/ ) -
pls spread the word
~ Copy of Minutes and Additions also posted at
http://www.peoplesassemblies.org/2011/06/on-line-planning-meeting/

Additions to Minutes:

*(1) The Intros* at the beginning of meeting moved quite swiftly onto J30,
possibly prematurely [if so, my mistake as facilitator].
This happened because people were conscious of the clock ticking on the
meeting (it took some time for each group to speak) and it was agreed the
general pattern that was emerging in the intros - small, indignado inspired
groups forming in places, but yet to connect as fully and constructively
with other social movements in the area, and /or the general public - was
repeated. It was hoped that the J30 bit would allow other groups to speak
about their local context to complete the UK 15M picture begun with the
intros. Unfortunately however the transcript from the chat room is not
complete so we do not have a record of all the group localities that
participated in the meeting. As I remember rhere were individuals/groups
from York, Stockport and Colchester aswell as the bigger, more obvious
places mentioned. There were also participants from Granada, Italy and
France and perhaps others.  It is difficult to say what the proportion of
UK/other to Spanish background was, but my guess is it was around 50/50.

*(2) London Assembly* it was notable that regular/key (mainly Spanish)
London Assembly members were not present in the meeting although there were
people there who have interacted with 15M London constructively such as
Corinna Lotz, Andy Paice. myself. Hopefully this will be rectified in
the next on-line meeting (7pm Saturday July 9th)

*(3) Communications -* the last part of the meeting was dedicated to a
discussion about communications and the need to improve comms across UK
groups, and to find a suitable on-line network organisational tool.
A working group was formed to take this forward. So far  this work has
amounted to a short discussion on the UK Coordinating FB group and email
exchanges between myself, Susana & Sophie in Manchester and Bruno (who is
connected to the Mancester group but based in Lanzarote). I will follow this
email up with another one about comms possibilities. A list is also being
compiled, on FB and on the People's Assemblies site of UK and other 15M
groups worldwide - pls can people check it and add to it if needed. It's
here
http://www.facebook.com/#!/home.php?sk=group_147765901962890&view=doc&id=154787704594043
[page is part of the UK FB Co-ordination group (see below) ]

 *(4) Co-ordination Next Steps ?*

It is suggested that everyone interested in UK Coordination:

A. join the UK Co-ordination FB group at
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_147765901962890)
B. read this email and attached minutes
C. read the follow up email on communications questions from Susana myself
and Bruno
D. come to the next on-line meeting if possible to discuss where we are at
and ask others to come: (Sat 9th July 7pm at same chat venue
http://15m.speeqe.com/ )
E. put any comments on last meeting, these minutes or suggestions for next
meeting with others at:
http://www.peoplesassemblies.org/2011/06/on-line-planning-meeting/

OK, that's it. Pls do send any comments on this to me or post on the PA site
and I hope this helps

Cheers :-)

Mark