[Campaignforrealdemocracy] Draft Statement London International Assembly to Syntagma

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 20 23:04:35 UTC 2011

In this time of great confusion, political apathy and misinformation we are
compelled to respond dynamically to issues that affect us all as citizens of
the world, as human beings.

We EXPRESS OUR SOLIDARITY to *Syntagma Square* and, together, we call for
the RE-ENFORCEMENT of the network of the Real Democracy Now groups across
Europe.

1) We CONDEMN the propaganda of the major mainstream media who do not tell
the truth about Greece, claiming that the violence was started by the
protesters while there are numerous sources confirming that the *Greek
police act oppressively against the crowd*, use *prohibited tear gases*,
punish and beat protesters without reason, attack stores and arrest even
those who do not participate in the protests. The crackdown of June 29th was
in fact a *chemical warfare* against protesters.

We CONDEMN the actions of the Greek government: 1) The introduction of the
IMF-EU-ECB Troika's demands against the wishes of the Greek people. 2) The
stance of the vice president of the government Theodoros Pagalos for calling
the majority of the Greek people "crooks" while he openly declared that if
instability continues the army should be called to protect the banks from
the people. We wonder who will protect the people from the cannibalistic
power of the banks.

Spain and Greece have been trapped within cultural stereotypes, cultivated
by the mainstream mass media and people are led to believe that this
economic mess has to do with our cultural habits. Of course we recognise our
failure to identify the warnings in time, as before now we chose to ignore
the problems and refused to see that we were being led into a destructive
financial death-trap for the sake of private banks and global speculators.
Hence, we call for the people to RISE UP and despise apathy and consumerism.
It is time to take the future in our hands, ending the power of capitalism
over our lives, both economically and politically

What we are experiencing, is the vicious application of a disastrous
economic model in the EU, in the most undemocratic and provocative way while
the political leaders do their best to keep the people misinformed and
therefore easily manipulated. *The current socio-political system aims to
maximize the profit and socialize the cost.*

2) We stand by the side of the SPANISH INDIGNADOS who were and always are a
great influence and inspiration, by the FRENCH people and all those who go
through difficult times, by the people of IRAN who fight against their
oppressive regime, by the TUNISIANS and EGYPTIANS who showed the way to
freedom, by the people of SYRIA, BAHRAIN, YEMEN, MOROCCO... the struggle is
common.

3) We send our solidarity, also, to the people of CHILE who are struggling
against the privatisation of schools and universities. *During 2011 numerous
student protests took place across the country*, but the media kept silent
about it. The Chilean people have a long history of fights against
exploitation, one of the most notable being the fight against the brutal
dictatorship of Augusto Pinochet. Under neoliberal politics, only a few
privileged will enjoy social benefits, the privatization of education will
shatter the dreams of the entire youth and condemn future generations to
illiteracy.

4) We believe in a global political system of EQUAL PARTICIPATION for all
citizens in political life, which should be the dominant value of human
society, instead of money, productivism and economism.

5) There is an English saying 'to take the bull by both horns'. In response
to the crisis, we now see both the politics of nationalism and European
state-federalism rearing their ugly heads. Nationalism, however intended is
divisive, racist, fascist even and therefore ultimately undemocratic. With
global capital now dictating each country's policies, the Treaty of
Westphalia has run its course. At the same time, we REJECT any political
union foisted on us by the European state as a solution to the crisis, which
will only damage each country further by following the same FAILED
neo-liberal / global capitalist-led model.

6) Instead, we will replace and transform these bankrupt institutions with
democratic People's Assemblies.

7) Let us now call for People's Assemblies everywhere! To express our
common, local sovereignty, the means to build a new society that supports
people and planet, while ALSO forcing each nation to join as one, to take on
the global hegemon. For only then, when global capital is superceded by
people power will poverty, famine, war and planetary destruction come to an
end.

ANOTHER WORLD IS POSSIBLE

I think I can change things.

I think I can help.

I know that together we can.

For peace, equality and freedom

Real Democracy Now - London International Assembly