[Campaignforrealdemocracy] Fwd: Democracy Motion for CoR national council meeting

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Fri May 13 13:00:07 UTC 2011

 FYI this just sent to Coalition of Resistance

Dear Romayne, Andrew and Everyone

I hope this finds you well.

Thankyou for the message about tomorrow's meeting.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend due to family commitments. Also,
my colleague Corinna Lotz who is also on the Council sends her apologies as
she will be in Munich. That said, we should be grateful if the following
motion proposed by myself and seconded by Corinna could be put to the
meeting. Although we cannot be there to argue for it, I hope others will
take it forward and that you will include it on the agenda and find time to
vote on it.

In solidarity

Mark Barrett

*Real Democracy Motion*

In support of a similar, near unanimous decision made at the National
Education Assembly of 30th June at the LSE, and in recognition of the
various People's Assemblies now being convened by Trade Councils (eg in
Lambeth on May 21st and Liverpool on June 4th) the Coalition of Resistance
likewise urges communities throughout Britain and Europe to build inclusive
City-wide and other People’s Assemblies that can:

- unite students, workers, trade unionists, community groups and all those
resisting austerity and ConDem cuts, as well as other activists and members
of the general public
- develop an alternative democratic voice and permanent / longer -term
presence to effectively challenge corporate/financial power and its grip on
the existing political system
- ensure the anti-cuts movement maintains an effective unity via a genuinely
democratic, long-term strategic and non-sectarian process

Proposed By: Mark Barrett Councillor, Coalition of Resistance and Organiser,
Campaign for Real Democracy UK
Seconded: Corinna Lotz Councillor, Coalition of Resistance and Secretary, A
World to Win
www.peoplesassemblies.org