[Campaignforrealdemocracy] 10th Dec 2011 | Call for a Global Day of Action for Real Democracy

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Sun May 15 09:35:45 UTC 2011

http://www.peoplesassemblies.org/2011/05/global-day-of-action-for-real-democracy/

>>There is now taking place in Spain and now spread to France, Portugal,
Turkey and Bulgaria a mobilisation for “Real Democracy Now”, for
today, Sunday May 15th http://democraciarealya.es/.

Interestingly, this is not a struggle initially organised by an already
constituted network or by militant activists, but rather it is being built
through social media networks and by ordinary citizens and popular
assemblies. Within a space of two months from an initial post on Facebook
there are now demonstrations being planned in more than 60 cities, and
Twitter and other social media are alive with discussions and debates about
the future of democracy in Spain. We think this shows that a general
transnational mobilisation for 'Real Democracy' could be really big if we do
it properly.

Here is a short statement put together a few days ago for initial responses
and for comrades presently meeting in Tunisia:

Action for Real Democracy on Dec 10th 2011 ?

Saturday 10th December is World Human Rights Day, which could be a great day
for common action. By calling for real democracy but also making general
proposals (which would need to be discussed) like self-determination, free
movement, social justice, debt cancellation and redistribution of wealth we
could draw in the wider public as is being shown in Spain and elsewhere for
May 15. And Dec 10th is far enough in the future for groups to make
something really big happen. We could also encourage Popular Assemblies in
order to plan the day of mobilisation, and for these to continue as ongoing
people’s assemblies afterwards, in order to found new, permanent
institutions of the common, and also to plan further days of action in 2012!

Adrià Rodríguez de Alòs-Moner ( http://democraciarealya.es/ )
Mark Barrett (Campaign for Real Democracy UK and www.peoplesassemblies.org)
<<<<

Please comment by reply or at