[Campaignforrealdemocracy] August 19th Common Day - Call for Comments

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Fri May 27 09:08:29 UTC 2011

 Here is a nice video summary of the London Camp so far:
http://www.youtube.com/user/vengoroso

Just to let you know that dates for common days of action are being
discussed in Spain, and the proposed dates at the moment include June 19th,
October 15th and Dec 10th.

To go with this, I have a proposal for to the Democracia Real movement
around which we can probably build a decent mobilisation in London aswell as
linking it internationally. The date is Friday August 19th and for that day
I propose a call out for a DRY demo, picnic, assembly and hopefully camp in
London + other places in world. An international, loosely Euro centred call
out in some ways, but also clearly without borders and making a real effort
to translate the call out into Arabic, Mandarin, as many languages as
possible etc. Also, I think the call out should not originate from
politicos. It should be done on FB and bring in citizens ideally from the
start possib;ly via the student networks, or mabe the London M15/DRY Spanish
who are subtstantially made up of 1st time activist who consider themselves
as workers rather than campaigners, until now.

Why Aug 19th ?

A. This is the anniversary of the trans-European picnic which helped usher
in the fall of the iron curtain.
B. It is a Friday so it's good to make links with the Arab Spring countries
as that is their big day of protest.
C A picnic is something that activists in heavily repressed countries, like
China and Russia might be able to engage with.
D the iron curtain coming down is symbolic both for Europe wide polity but
also the idea of borders coming down worldwide and a genuinely
democratic/grassroots third way between neo-liberalism and stalin-statism.

Here in London as many know we have a big job to get fences around
Parliament Square down since we held Democracy Village there for 3 months
last summer and nearly 10 years of fighting for it to be the People's
Square. Also, we have a real multiculture here so in some ways it is harded
to build a citizen movement. But, if the rest of the world were to support
the day Aug 19th we could build for it here in London with creative actions
at the fences (some of this is already being discussed elsewhere) between
now and then and we could get a big FB support thanks to (hopefully) support
from  Spain and elsewhere in the world. We could do flashmob DRY picnics in
public places and such like. We don't have t camp pout in the Square (if
fences are too much of a challenge on the day because there is also Victoria
Tower Gardens right next to the House of Lords ( a symbol of elite
priviledge and anti democratic hierarchies if ever there was one!)

Basically, a good mobilisation on that day woul be a nice preparation for
the really big common days that are being discussed for the end of the year.

What do people here in the UK, and elsewhere think. Are you in ?

Mark
www.peoplesassemblies.org
www.realdemocracylondon.blogspot.com
www.takethesquare.net