[Campaignforrealdemocracy] Fwd: Potential Problems

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 11 07:27:24 UTC 2011

Hi  Everyone!! Sorry I couldn't make it last night.  How did it go? Pls can
someone post on list or crabgrass.. In the interests of pre-empting
problems: in addition to issues re celebrity activists / press work and
those raised by justin here are a few more reflections.  there is a useful,
critical piece in Times today about how Occupy US assembly refused to let a
Congressman and veteran of civil rights struggle speak. On Sunday (which
overall I thought was great btw)  on the bridge  John Mc Donnell MP ( who is
in favour of assemblies )  was on the bridge. I have no idea if he asked to
speak or was refused ( probably neither ) but I did hear from a number of
comrades that someone holding themselves out as an organiser ( whatever that
means in the context of a democratic self organising assembly)  advised
someone else ( not McDonnell)  before they spoke not to be ideological. Both
of  these issues are problematic. Also the 'repeat back' tradition that's
started in the US seems a bit dodgy. I see that it indicates we are all one,
and may have a place in things to a small extent but it also negates
critical thinking and is quite sheep like in a negative sense. Finally, I
also want to highlight again that one criticism repeatedly levelled against
assemblies is their lack of political focus, so we need to be wise to that
and get constitutional issues about the kind of system and society we are
aiming to build together, in our communities and also on the streets, and
also in the longer term the kind of political economy and constitution we
are fighting for, on the table asap.  Let's hope each country learns from
one another's mistakes until an optimum effective sensible and individual
nation-state transforming approach is attained.. Also, we need to not lose
sight of the global angle. I think London as one of the biggest world cities
 is the perfect place to call for an even bigger global day of action, in
support of human rights and democracy in the Arab spring world. I am
proposing Sat Dec10th as it's world human rights. Hope to prepare a call out
text for the assemblies oct15 to consider. Happy to hear thoughts on all
this. Love and solidarity Mark

--
Apathy is Dead !
http://www.flickr.com/photos/solarider/5254770064/#/photos/solarider/5254770064/lightbox/