[Campaignforrealdemocracy] Marcuse on Occupy Wall Street

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 12 11:57:00 UTC 2011

  Begin forwarded message:

 *From: *Peter Marcuse <pm35 at COLUMBIA.EDU>
*Date: *12 October 2011 02:48:23 GMT+01:00
*To: *<INURA at YORKU.CA>
*Subject: **Re: Occupy Wall Street*

 Friends,****

** **

Following up my earlier blog piece on the Occupy Wall Street movement,
here’s a further piece dealing with its place in the political spectrum and
the speculation about its future. It makes the following argument:****

** **

Will the Occupy Wall Street movement continue to grow? I think that’s the
wrong question. It cannot “grow” in the sense of enlarging the area it
occupies, staying longer and longer and refusing to leave. There is simply
no space available where it is now in New York, the weather in winter will
make it simply a test of endurance, it is more than can be asked. But there
are alternative forms by which it can show its strength: marches, timed
occupations, rallies, continued effective solidarity and networking. And
refinement of claims, clarification of interpretations, pin-pointing of
objectives and targets of non-violent action and exposure.  The argument
goes as follows:****

** **

Four alternative futures confront the movement:****

** **

·         Dissolve****

·         Be co-opted****

·         Focus on specific immediate reforms****

·         Go for non-reformist reforms****

·         Push for revolution.****

** **

The strengths and weaknesses of each are analyzed, and they are not mutually
exclusive. But the “non-reformist reforms” seems the most productive.****

** **

In any event, its future will hinge on the extent to which it maintains its
three defining characteristics: ****

** **

The common thread in the analysis of the underlying nature of the problems
with which it is concerned, symbolized by the 1%/99% formulation;****

The bringing together of multiple diverse interests and viewpoints in a
mutually supportive and trusting human social context; and****

The commitment to action, to exploring , physically as well as
intellectually, the available avenues for implementing their desires,
overcoming the obstacles they face, moving towards a better world.****

** **

Immediately, tactically, imagination may suggest a variety of new approaches
to immediate action. Since continued limited occupation of a restricted site
poses major problems as the sole center of the movement, imagination and
spontaneity can be looked to provide alternatives to reflect the growth and
wide popular support of the movement. Possibilities are mentioned.****

The whole text is 3 pages, plus the above summary, and it’s on my blog  at
http://pmarcuse.wordpress.com.

****

 Peter****

** **