[Campaignforrealdemocracy] GA on Democracy Tonight

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 13 07:41:03 UTC 2012

Hey Everyone!

This is a reminder that tonight's General Assembly (7pm St Pauls) is
scheduled to be on the subject of democracy.

Aswell as an update from our WG, it's been suggested the GA re-considers
the earlier democracy statement. The earlier statement is as follows,
amended to reflect the main objections of the earlier GA:

*Proposed Statement on Real Democracy*

"The crisis of the system opens the way for all of us to be co-creators of
our future, not its victims. What is needed are participatory democratic
alternatives to a parliamentary system that has been compromised by
corporate and financial interests. In order to facilitate the transition to
real democracy and the liberation of the disenfranchised majority, we are
encouraging the formation of people's assemblies in neighbourhoods,
workplaces and education establishments across the country, assemblies
where no one will be excluded, and where the voice and sovereignty of the
people will be expressed. And we call for a day of action** in support."

** A river march to, and day of events at St Mary's Church / Putney, scene
of the famous 1647 constitution debates is being proposed.

------------

Apologies if I don't make tonight (am hoping to) but as long as some of
you do and sure it will be a good discussion!

You can read the rest of the info on the WG prior to last Tues meeting at
http://www.occupyforum.org.uk/showthread.php?95-Next-Steps-as-at-30-Nov

And please don't forget to add your comments to Paul's working draft
critique document, by latest Saturday evening. Place to do so is here:
http://www.occupyforum.org.uk/showthread.php?373-Critique-of-the-Parliamentary-Democracy-State

Cheers!

Mark
PS
If you'd like to participate in planning the Putney event, please email me
off-list.