[Campaignforrealdemocracy] Call to Act - TIARA Meeting 9.9.13

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 12 07:46:24 UTC 2013

Dear All

I will write properly again soon with a full update on our team's
work<http://participativeassemblies.wordpress.com/>interfacing with
COR over the Peoples Assembly against Austerity in the
pursuit of the participatory assembly approach and deeper political
content, including about Nov 5th day of civil disobedience which is now
endorsed by TUC members.

IN the meantime please find minutes from Monday's TIARA (there is a
radical/revolutionary  alternative) meeting.

Following action points given could anyone interested to organise a
creative 'real democracy' intervention on the Peoples Train on Sep 29
<http://thepeoplesassembly.org.uk/march-and-rally-sunday-29-september-2013/>from
London to Manchester  put the eve of next Wed 18th Sep 7pm in their diary.
We need creative design people, media crew, interviewers and facilitator
small but tight team and we will be able to get half price tickets (21
instead of 42 pounds return) for train if we act fast.

Please get in touch if you are interested to participate!

Cheers

Mark

*September 9th 2013
Notes from TIARA Stakeholders Meeting *

Unite House,
128 Theobald’s Road,
Holborn, WC1X 8TN

*Apologies –*

Natalie Bennett GP, Richard Bagley MS, Loz Kaye / Andy PP, Obi Occupy /
Livestream, Lili Southwark Assembly John Foster (Communist Party, Scotland,
Richard Leonard GMB political officer (Scotland) including comrades from
the red paper collective (The Labour Movement Alternative for Radical
Constitutional Change), Shimri (Global Democracy Statement), Becky Luff
international http://www.worldparliamentnow.org Activists from the European
strategy meeting ‘struggles against neo-liberalism’
http://openfsm.net/projects/2011movements-fsm-wsf/lists/2011movements-fsm-wsf-discussion/archive/2013/09/1378462620913

James Holland (local organizing in New Cross), Paul Feldman AWTW AofP, John
Bywater, Lambeth PA,  Andree and Paul WPA

Present: Corinna A World to Win, Agreement of the People, Real Democracy
Working Group Occupy London  Stephen Reid NEF, UK Uncut, Eddie Bone
Campaign for an English Parliament http://www.thecep.org.uk/ ( Eddie also
works as a nurse, so is personally aware of the issues re cuts etc), Robbie
Griffiths AWTW, Agreement of the People, Ruby Iqbal, social entrepreneur,
apolitical and curious, Julie Timbrell, Occupy RDWG, Mark Barrett PAN
www.peoplesassemblies.org and RDWG and David B Liquid  Law

*Discussion Topics Covered*

General discussion on the tension between bottom up and top down processes
in the Peoples Assembly against Austerity.

General discussion about aims of TIARA grouping vis a vis promoting
participatory approaches, influencing the direction of the PAAA and other
social movements etc. Agreed: meeting is not about sharing our ideas for
reforms, rather it is about completing the first stage of the process we
began on June 22. IE Building on the  two questions we asked on June 22nd

- What reforms are needed to fix our broken political system?

-  How can grassroots  people's assemblies and participatory movements
 bring them about?

Following this it was agreed that, to keep things simple and on lines that
have already been shown to work, our main aim should be to consider,
develop and take forward the process and achievement of June 22 and keep
encouraging consideration and debate on reforms needed to fix our broken
political system and how grassroots  people's assemblies and participatory
movements can bring them about.

General discussion of possible concrete next steps

*Action Points Agreed: *

1. Use the above two questions used on 22 June on the Peoples Train and
these will also be used as our groups aims (as above)

2. June 22 report will be completed ( David B to complete his section )

and Julie will send to John Rees and ask if this can be publicise.

3. Taking forward the groups' work on the Peoples Train to Manchester on
Sep 29 - David will do a google docs on  how to get people involved  (
could be a variety of ways ) Agreed that we will all think of questions to
ask on train and Mark will look into tickets etc. Tiaras could be worn on
the day

This will be a focus of the next meeting.
*
Next meeting :* 18 September 2013 7 pm
Mark to ask Pilgrim to book a space for us at Unite again, if possible.

*AOB*
European Strategy Meeting Amsterdam 4th – 6th Oct
http://openfsm.net/projects/2011movements-fsm-wsf/lists/2011movements-fsm-wsf-discussion/archive/2013/09/1378462620913