[Cja] The Future of CJA ; dissolve or find a new course

Tadzio Mueller tadziom at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 24 10:21:19 UTC 2010

hey all,
first of all, thanks to peter for basically clarifying something that had sort of been lurking at the back of my mind, and, i suspect, other people's too. my email yesterday kind of hinted at something like that, too.
i think the point about the 'standard recipe' of the 'day of action' is especially well-taken: as someone who was involved in pushing that idea at the february meeting in amsterdam i'll be honest, it was very much an idea that emerged simply in order to keep the network alive. and that's not enough to energise people, as we've seen from the absolutely crap work we as a network have done around the day of action: we've done practically no outreach to groups and people who don't come to CJA-meetings, something we were great at in the copenhagen mobilisation; the storytelling/media-work aspect has been pretty dead, and that was one of the things where we shone in and before copenhagen.
as i think i mentioned in my last email, our local group in berlin has now started to do active outreach to groups in eastern germany, so far very, very 'empty' ground from the perspective of networked climate (justice) struggles. in a way, that's a very boring task - nowhere near as fun as hanging out with y'all lovely lot :-) but it's probably what needs to get done. the global events, we know after 10 years of experience in organising them, have their role to play. but that role is limited.
anyway, i'm starting to repeat myself, so i'll stop here. like peter, it would be great to hear loud and practical and concrete disagreement with these thoughts. but whatever we do, let's be honest to ourselves.
solidarische gruesse
tadzio