[Cja] The Future of CJA ; dissolve or find a new course

Bert antistrata at riseup.net
Tue Aug 24 13:03:12 UTC 2010

I have felt this debate coming!

So I've been churning over whether to come to Holland or not this
weekend, precisely because of these kind of questions. Given my limited
time and money, is traveling to this meeting the best way to see them spent?

I'll put this in as proviso - these are ideas flowing somewhat
haphazardly off the top of my head. They are certainly not conclusive
thoughts!

The *first* question - what is the state of climate politics?

In my eyes, if we were to survey the 'movement' as it currently stands,
it is dominated by a field of NGOs engaged at the policy level. To this
extent, I'm hesitant to even use the (ambiguous) term of 'movement' -
rather it now appears to be a number of policy-hacks claiming legitimacy
on the back of a non-existent 'movement' demographic. This is sadly
reflected in the trajectory of the Cochabamba Declaration, which is now
treated solely as a series of policy points that 'experts' are concerned
with writing into the UNFCCC negotiating texts, whilst Bolivian
representatives proudly pronounce that the UN is being forced to listen
to the people. A disgraceful bastardisation of any possible 'new
politics' that could have been born from that Bolivian conference.

My understanding is that whilst climate politics continues at the policy
level, any 'movement' will ultimately be reduced to fulfilling the role
of foot-soldiers, a crowd upon which policy-hacks feed so as to claim
some form of representative capacity within negotiations -- 'look here!
we have the people behind us!'. I'm not interested in mobilising cannon
fodder for ineffective UN negotiations, and I'm not interested in
bolstering this or that bargaining position. The only possibility of
this having any value is as part of a different politics and a broader
strategy that exists outside of policy negotiations. At the moment,
there isn't one - blind hope is still within the UNFCCC despite
inevitable failure.

The *second* question - what would an other climate politics look like?

For all the criticism, what other trajectory could or should have been
taken? How do we create something effective, that takes as its basis
popular activity outside of policy spaces? I think we began to explore
this in our discussion of creating a different strategic space, one that
would put the emphasis on placing 'climate politics' in peoples daily
lives as opposed to in the policy realm. In other words, we need to
provide a revolutionary dream, the 'other worlds' that listen and speak
to the daily concerns of peoples lives - not some abstract ethical drive
based on PPM and Bangladeshi floods (however terrible they may be). We
will not build a movement out of voluntarist ethical commitments to
'reduce carbon', manifesting itself within protests, days of action,
asceticism or policy-led politics.

In other words, we are concerned with generating an anti-capitalist
response to climate change. We should know well enough that, to do this,
we must locate the 'place' of capital not in institutions, nor
corporations, nor banks, but at the level of control over our daily
decision making. This means that we must begin with the issues that are
the core of our lives - housing, food, healthcare, transport, childcare,
'education' - and begin a process of strategising how people can assume
common control of these fundamental life processes. As it stands, we
predominately rely on capital for our own survival, we are all forced to
sell our labour (or to exploit the labour of others) so as to survive.
This reliance means that, however much we despise this system or however
much we personally fail to benefit from it, the bottom line in decision
making is /always/ the accumulation of capital. If we want control over
'ecological' decisions, then we must free ourselves from our compulsion
to act in accordance with capital.

The purpose of this imagined conference leans towards this - how do we
base a climate politics in peoples self-interest? How do we begin a
process of empowering people to create circuits of reproduction /other
than and to the detriment of/ capital? How do we ignite the sentiment of
another world, and how does do we ensure this sentiment spread like
wildfire? There is only one way - and that is embedding politics as a
struggle over the conditions of everyday life.

The *third* question - can CJA initiate this other politics?

Well... firstly, we would have to make sense of all this. We would have
to work out a first step for an anti-capitalist climate politics, and
how it is based in present reality. We would have to work out if there
is any difference between the aforementioned and anti-capitalist
politics /in general/. We would have to resolve contradictions such as
that between the 'green jobs'/'anti-growth' camps. We would need to find
a discursive AND practical way of delinking human well-being from the
reproduction of capital. We could perhaps forge 'directional demands',
demands which seem fully plausible from the position of human wellbeing,
yet completely untenable from the position of capital accumulation, such
as that of a 'living wage for all'. I think the strategy conference we
discussed just might have some play in this particular discussion, but
it would have to go far beyond any confines of the 'climate'.

Secondly - and perhaps most importantly - we would need the bodies to
make it happen. As Tadzio and Peter have mentioned, I just can't see
where they are going to come from. Is CJA the vehicle to make any of
this happen? I really don't know. Is 'climate justice' a discourse which
can speak to this concept of generalised struggle over our own
reproduction, which is fundamentally what this is about? Or must it be
abandoned as liberal bullshit within the realm of policy-hacks?

A million questions, and I feel somewhat lost.
I hope someone can persuade me within the next 24 hours that I should go
to the Netherlands.

Solidarity,

Bert