[Cja] Please READ: Communication materials for the IPCC launch on Impacts 31st March 2014

Asad Rehman asad.rehman at foe.co.uk
Fri Mar 28 17:56:36 UTC 2014

Hi all

Below is an email that we circulated to FoE International groups to assist them with responding to the IPCC launch. The info below may also be of assistance to other activist network and groups so feel free to circulate.

Best
Asad

Dear friends

On Monday 31st March 9.00am (Japan time) the new IPCC report on Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability will be released.

This will be a moment when a lot of media and public conversations will be about climate change and the risks it poses.

To assist with your communication and intervention into these conversations Friends of the Earth EWNI together with our climate justice allies in the Global Campaign to Demand Climate Justice (DCJ) have put together two documents - please feel free to:

  *   Post on your website
  *   Blog about / use as basis for a blog
  *   Tweet and share on facebook
  *   Send out to your lists
  *   Send to friendly journalists
The documents are:

  *   Summary of Climate Change and its Risk to Food<http://climatejusticecampaign.org/images/ipcc/DCJ_Food_and_Climate_Change.pdf>
  *   Frequently Asked Questions about the IPCC<http://climatejusticecampaign.org/images/ipcc/DCJ_FAQs_on_IPCC_WG2.pdf>
FOE EWNI has also prepared a pre-publication brief<http://www.foe.co.uk/sites/default/files/downloads/advance-briefing-ipcc-report-climate-impacts-45439.pd> and so please share that with your supporters and media contacts.

In addition we have produced a video from leading climate scientist Prof Kevin Anderson on the need for urgency and ambition which you can share on your social media platforms and tweet etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7pwpjthh6E

Also a video interview with Yeb Sano - the lead climate negotiator from the Philippines on why justice is central to the fight against climate change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4c_lqSM_10

FoE EWNI has a newspage on the latest climate science that you are welcome to use if you want to include a link

http://www.foe.co.uk/news/latest-climate-science

I hope that these resources are also useful. Please note that we will be preparing a much more comprehensive toolkit for Working Group 3 on mitigation for April.

In addition the GCCA has prepared a 'one stop shop' of background materials and briefs relating to the report which may be useful to groups - http://treealerts.org/topic/climate-science/2014/03/special-alert-ipcc-working-group-ii/

Below are some further suggestions you could use for your media communications if they are helpful.

1.    Draft Outline of Press Release
Friends of the Earth XXXXXX warned that a new report released in Yokohama, Japan confirms that climate change presents a serious threat to global food security.

The report on the "impacts, adaptation and vulnerability" to climate change, released by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), a senior UN panel made up of thousands of scientists, is expected to spark an increase in stronger climate policies worldwide.

"The report warns that at just 1C of warming we'll see negative impacts on major crops like rice, wheat and maize." XXX said.

"As crop production goes down in the heat, food prices go up, causing even more poverty and starvation." XXX said.

The report finds that climate change is already having negative impacts on water resources, crop production, and is causing extinctions of animal and plant species.

"Climate change is caused by humans so those most responsible must start acting - rich countries like Canada and Australia can't keep pouring pollution into the atmosphere - that pollution makes our lives here only harder." XXX said.

"Governments in rich countries want to allow 2C of global warming, this new report shows that such levels of warming will have huge impacts on my TOWN/COUNTRY." XXX said.

INSERT INFORMATION ON RELEVANT LOCAL/REGIONAL RISK FROM BRIEF.

"Because of the historical pollution in rich countries some climate change is locked-in and we need to come up with policies and actions to adapt to that change. This report shows that the implementation of those adaptation actions will run into the hundreds of billions of dollars globally." XXX said.

The report builds on its sister report released last September that focused on the physical science basis of climate change and will be followed by a report focusing on solutions to be released in the coming weeks.

NOTES TO EDITORS
Friends of the Earth EWNI and The Global Campaign to Demand Climate Justice, put together the following summary of what the IPCC says about climate change, hunger and poverty - LINK
2.    Tweets
Link to your own press release or a DCJ brief, or the IPCC site.

#Climate change will drive hunger - new report #IPCC  LINK Will this wake @TonyAbbottMHR up?

UN warns of hungry, impoverished world if #climate criminals keep polluting. LINK. Time to stop, Canada. LINK

Imagine a world without rice. Is that the world @pmharper wants? That's what we're risking with #climate change LINK

Pay more for food with few options. It's not a bad restaurant, but what the world will be like with more #climate change LINK

3.    FB status
Accompany your facebook posts with images or video - including those circulated if you like. Possible conversation starters on facebook include:

The latest UN climate report warns of severe hunger if we keep pouring pollution into the atmosphere. Crops and fish to die-out. Time to send a message to the worst polluters in places like Canada and Australia that we don't want their hungrier, poorer world. Share this summary to let friends know what's at risk.

Your breakfast cereal will cost more with climate change. Your rice at lunch. Your corn for dinner. And forget about that fish you like. According to a new UN report climate change threatens a global food crisis. Time for big polluters to be stopped and brought to justice. Share this to show what's at stake.

FYI
Friends of the Earth (EWNI) press release
Embargo: Immediate release,  Friday 28 March 2014
Contact: Neil Verlander, Friends of the Earth press office - 020 7566 1649/ 07712 843 209;

IPCC CLIMATE  REPORT: WORLD MUST STAND UP TO FOSSIL FUEL INDUSTRY, WARNS FRIENDS OF THE EARTH

*** Friends of the Earth spokespeople are available for interview ***
Governments around the world must stand up to the fossil fuel industry if we're to avoid catastrophic climate change, warns Friends of the Earth ahead of a key UN scientific report, published on Monday [31 March], which is expected to highlight the devastating impacts of climate change on people and the planet.
The International Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Fifth Assessment, Working Group 2 report is expected to paint a bleak picture about the impacts of climate change on food production, ecosystems, resources - such as water - and human health.
The report is also likely to emphasise that some of the effects of climate change are already being felt, particularly by the poorest in the world who have done least to cause the damage - and warn about the anticipated severe impacts if we fail to act.

Friends of the Earth's Executive Director, Andy Atkins said:

"We face a bleak future if the world continues to ignore the grim scientific warnings of our failure to tackle global warming.
"Droughts, floods and famines are just some of the devastating effects that people around the world are already suffering from more frequent extreme weather - and, unless we take urgent measure, it will get far worse.
"We have the ability to build a cleaner, safer future, but our leaders lack the courage to act.
"Politicians must break our dependency on coal, gas and oil - and stand up to the fossil fuel industry which is powering the planet towards catastrophic climate change."
In exclusive interviews for Friends of the Earth - see below - leading climate scientist Professor Kevin Anderson suggests carbon pollution from cars and fridges could fall 50-80% within 10 years if governments got tough on manufacturers. And Philippines climate negotiator Yeb Sano says winning the battle against climate change is a battle of hearts and minds given the scale of change required is as great as the industrial revolution.

ENDS
Notes to editors:

1.   The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change is a UN body tasked with producing five yearly updates of knowledge on the scientific, technical and socio-economic aspects of climate change. It has three scientific working groups each producing and publishing a detailed report.

2.   The first group Working Group 1, The Physical Science Basis (WG1) published its report in September 2013. A Friends of the Earth summary of its findings is available here:
http://www.foe.co.uk/sites/default/files/downloads/ipcc_report_2013.pdf
3.   A Friends of the Earth briefing on the IPCC  WG2 report (impacts) , which is due out on Monday 31 March 2014 is available here: http://www.foe.co.uk/sites/default/files/downloads/advance-briefing-ipcc-report-climate-impacts-45439.pdf
4.   A third IPCC report , WG3 on mitigation is due out on Sunday 13 April 2014.  A Friends of the Earth briefing is here: http://www.foe.co.uk/sites/default/files/downloads/advance-briefing-ipcc-report-climate-mitigaton-45694.pdf
5.   A summary of information on climate change, including filmed interviews with Leading climate scientist Professor  Kevin Anderson of the Tyndall Centre and Yeb Sano, Philippines climate change negotiator is available here: https://www.foe.co.uk/news/latest-climate-science
6.   For more than 40 years we've seen that the wellbeing of people and planet go hand in hand - and it's been the inspiration for our campaigns. Together with thousands of people like you we've secured safer food and water, defended wildlife and natural habitats, championed the move to clean energy and acted to keep our climate stable. Be a Friend of the Earth - see things differently. For further information visit www.foe.co.uk<http://www.foe.co.uk>

Best
Asad

Asad Rehman
Head of International Climate