[dfs3] housekeeping

mark mark at aktivix.org
Wed Jul 30 17:26:43 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I thought I should just flag up a few of points of "netiquette"
because I know some of you are new to this mailing list, or mailing
lists in general.

Firstly, sending attachments is generally not the best way to use our
resources. It's preferable to save your file somewhere and post a link
to it in your email. Why?

https://network23.org/dfs3/2014/06/17/things-you-dont-have-to-pay-for-and-why-2/

Secondly, the 'house style' here is that when you reply to an email,
you can quote the previous posters, but add your remarks below the
text you're replying to - not above.

This is something that people regularly disagree about (top posting
versus bottom posting), and my view is that there's no right or wrong
about it, but just like deciding whether to drive on the left hand
side of the road or the right, it's important that everyone does the
same, so we have to pick one way to do things and stick to it. All
these gems of wisdom, and more, are summarised on our list information
page:

Thirdly, for people who are new to the list, if you want to see what
you've missed there is an open, public archive that anyone can read here:

https://lists.aktivix.org/pipermail/dfs3/

Finally, if anyone is finding that the volume of messages coming
through this list is more than you want, you could try switching to
'digest mode' which sends you messages in a batch at regular
intervals, regardless of how many individual messages have been sent.
You need to scroll down to the bottom of the list information page and
use the 'unsubscribe or edit options' button. You'll need the password
you were sent automatically when you joined the list.

OK, that's all, and sorry if I'm sounding like a mother hen. It's
great to see all the work that's happening at the moment - long may it
continue :)

Cheers,
Mark