[dfs3] Skill share

Barry Titterton titterton.barry at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 10:51:59 UTC 2014

On 11/06/14 18:18, Dan Dart wrote:

> Hello. Joining into this a little later than everyone else..
>
> However..
>
> I was wondering, as a skill-sharer, if anyone would like me to write
> up any course or lesson plans. I'm not sure which audience/skill level
> is the primary focus.
>
> Cheers
> Dan

Perhaps Dan could have a go at a simple, non-scary, guide to installing
Mint? Particularly how to get a machine to boot from a CD or USB.

I was trying to explain to people at the EcoFest on Sunday how easy it
was to try out Linux using a live CD but they all seemed to get a look
of fear/puzzlement/rabbit-in-the-headlights when I talked about "telling
the computer to start up using software from the CD/USB". They obviously
had no idea what I was talking about. As non-techies they will be
understandably frightened of breaking their computers. I have always
found that getting the computer to boot from the removable media to be
the hardest part of the trial or installation process. More modern
machines seem to have standardised on F12 for boot order access but it
will more difficult for our project as we will be working with older
kit, and each manufacturer seemed to have a different way of getting to
the boot order menu.

Cheers,

Barry