[dfs3] Volunteers needed for a few little jobs

mark mark at aktivix.org
Mon May 19 10:44:24 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

I've written a list of tasks that need doing, and I wonder if some of
you might like to take them on? I hope we can all help each other out
if any of them get difficult, so the main thing is just to have
someone to 'take a lead' on each of these, and make it happen.

Let this mailing list know if you'd like to take any of these on, or
if you can think of more that I've missed. Let me know if you'd like a
log-in for the blog and I can sort it for you. Also, I'm happy to give
a bit of tuition on any of this if people want it, and there may be
others on the list who could do that too.

Blog editor
- -----------

Someone to develop the structure of our new blog at
https://network23.org/dfs3 , for example creating a menu structure, an
events calendar, different sections for
announcements/reports/educational materials/promotional materials etc.

Blog authors
- ------------

It would be good if a few people could write short pieces to get the
blog started. For example, have you recently fixed a computer to work
with free software? Doesn't have to be rocket science, let's just show
a few examples of what we can do. Or would you like to write a review
of some software you use? Or write about one of the social issues
we're trying to address?

Educational link-finder
- -----------------------

There are loads of free educational materials on the net, that are
relevant to free software and computer re-use. Would anyone like to
start writing a list of these, and maybe a short review of each to say
who would find them useful?

Moderators
- ----------

The blog and this mailing list will get spam comments and posts. The
job of a moderator is to check posts to see if they're genuine, let
the genuine stuff through promptly and stop the spam getting through,
so you're the only one who has to see it.

Hardware 'broker'
- -----------------

One thing we discussed at our meeting in The Vic was how to get
computers from people who are giving the away to people who need them.
You might try different ways of doing this, but my suggestion is to
start a list of people who need a computer, and another of people who
want to give one away. Maybe ask people what they want to use the
computer for, and if there's any choice, to give the best machines to
the people with the greatest need?

Publicists
- ----------

David's working on some material, but we'll need to start writing a
list of where the posters are to be displayed and fliers placed. Also
people might want to write 'guest posts' on other blogs, to promote
us; perhaps even tell some journalists what we're up to and get
interviewed?

Facilitators

I'm planning to facilitate the first skill-share, but I'll be asking
for volunteers to lead the subsequent ones. It's a task I enjoy, but
part of what we need to do is develop each others' skills, and one way
to do that is to 'take turns' and give each other feedback. And I look
forward to learning new ways of doing things from all you folks.

That's all I can think of at the moment, speak up if you can think of
anything else.

Cheers,
Mark