[dfs3] Poster suggestion

David Walland davidwalland at googlemail.com
Mon May 26 06:01:46 UTC 2014

Mark and everyone,

One of the problems (and the reason why I'm still benightedly using Word)
is that neither Open Office nor Libre Office are quite reliable as to how
they handle .doc files.  Since this is the standard most people work to, I
feel we should stick to that for the moment however big a backward step
that is.  Also the drivers for my Epson A3 printer on Linux have only very
limited control whereas I can do many tweaks with the printed output using
the comprehensive Windows ones.

I'll revisit the work this evening and double-check, but I think the logos
issue may be due to using Libre Office.  They are mixed text and image and
this does show up "funnies" quite often (Open Office is dreadful for this,
sometimes it loses images or wrongly sizes them - it seldom comes up with
anything like the original in Word).  I'm not using very high levels of
nesting here.  Simply mixing images and text within a table (I often nest
images in text boxes in text boxes - perfectly acceptable in Word but
completely flummoxing the Open/Libre Office software.  It's useful for
precise positioning).

I've a weather window today to lay the rest of the concrete base for our
new greenhouse and mission-control is convinced (strangely!?!), that this
should take priority...

I may not be able to put all of the extra text and tweaks on the poster
without affecting the visual impact too much, so some of the (perfectly
valid) ideas may not make it onto the poster.

Regards,

David