[dfs3] computer support club this Saturday 11-2 at Alington House, 4 North Bailey, Durham

mark mark at re-pute.it
Wed Feb 3 11:53:24 UTC 2016

(This message is mainly for customers & friends of re-pute.it (BCC'ed),
but may also be of interest to people on the DFS3 list so I've CC'ed it
there.)

Dear friends and customers,

Thanks to those of you who filled in the feedback questionnaire after
last month's computer support club. The main highlights from that were
that on average, you wanted slightly more structure, more group
interaction and for part of the session to be 'themed'. And the most
popular theme was 'how to use a web browser'.

So, I'll be more active at facilitating group interaction and part of
this will be to set aside our 'middle hour' (12-1) to look at web
browsers. I'll cover some basic principles of how they work, then we can
all take turns to demonstrate some of the features we find most useful
in whichever browsers we use. You've all got Firefox and I know some of
you are using Chrome, so hopefully we'll at least have those covered and
maybe some more exotic ones if anyone would like to share. Alington
House are lending us a projector so it should be easier to involve the
whole group.

The first and last hours will remain 'free-form' to allow people to help
each other with problems and maybe pop in to the cafe which is going to
be open.

The computer support club is free (for 6 months) for re-pute.it
customers, and volunteers are also welcome. If you know anyone who might
want to buy a re-pute.it laptop and would like a hands-on demo, ask them
to come along too. If you're part of the broader community of linux
users and would like help from me or the volunteers, I'd ask for a small
contribution towards the cost of the room hire, and you should also
consider the (free) meetings of Durham Linux User Group.

Oh, and by popular demand, there's know a facebook page for re-pute.it
which you can 'like' if you use facebook;
https://facebook.com/repute.it/  but I promise that anything I put on
there will be available through other channels too.

Best wishes to you all, and I hope to see you on Saturday!
Mark

--

www.re-pute.it  _/ _/ _/  a laptop with ethics to be proud of