[dfs3] Anyone interested in electronics repair? [meet up in Feb?]

George Peattie gpeattie at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 16:50:44 UTC 2019

Hi James,

I'm not 100% sure that the list is really active now. I haven't seen
anything for quite some time.

I'm a restart podcast listener and I'm currently trying to get in touch
with someone who is planning to setup a repair event and a local cafe in
Chester le street. My wife volunteers at the cafe and this event came up in
dicussions on events they are trying to kick off this year. I'll try and
reach out and let you know details. I'm sure they and I would be interested
as trying to get some ideas, experience from restart was on my list of
things to do.

If you are interested please feel free to contact me direct. I live just
outside Durham and work in Newcastle.

George

On Thu, 31 Jan 2019 at 16:24, James Pickstone <james at therestartproject.org>
wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I’m new to this mailing list and community, so forgive the intrusion!
> I’m James from The Restart Project: http://therestartproject.org/
>
> We’re a social enterprise based in London that believes our relationship
> with electronics is broken: we get frustrated when our devices stop working
> properly and throw them away too readily.
>
> We work with local community groups around the UK to organise and run
> electronics repair events where people can work with skilled volunteers to
> fix their broken devices, including laptops, phones, tablets and other
> electronic and electrical devices. While most repairs are hardware-related,
> we also help people squeeze more life out of their old or slow devices with
> solutions like Linux.
>
> The idea is not only to reduce the amount of stuff we throw away and
> reduce the need to buy new stuff, but also transform our relationship with
> electronics in general.
>
> We’re also recording data from community events and are building an open
> source database of real-world repairs that we can use to identify common
> problems/fixes and campaign for pro-repair policy at the government and EU
> level.
>
> I’m getting in touch because I'm currently planning a trip up to the North
> East in the last week of February and I’d be really interested to meet some
> of you while I’m in the area. It would be great to learn more about Durham
> Free Software Skill-Share and it’s always good to meet like-minded people.
>
> I’ll be helping run an electronics repair event in Whitby on the 26th of
> February (10am-1pm) - you’re more than welcome to come along (and if you
> have repair or Linux skills, we could use some extra help!)
>
> I’ll then making my way to Newcastle, potentially via Durham.
>
> If you can’t make it to Whitby on the 26th, would anyone be interested in
> meeting up in Durham or Newcastle between the 27th of February and 1st of
> March?
>
> Look forward to hearing from you!
>
> James
>
> --