[dissent-tech] Re: Website Comments

revolting revolting2005 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Dec 9 18:40:32 GMT 2004

Can the header really not be "International Info and Translations". The "Document Downloads" header stretches onto 2 lines and seems to work ok. How about if each header had a small bullet point or * next to it so it was clear where each header started. Alternatively, I'd suggest either "International Info" or "Translations" as the header. If you go for "Translations" it might be worth opening up another section with "Travel Info" for putting info about getting to Scotland from both within and outside of the UK at a later date so it doesn't get mixed up with the translations.

How about having an address for the Webmaster? I think it'd be good to at least have somewhere clear on the home page saying "Webmaster" with an eamil address that people can mail, even if it is just the: dissent-tech at lists.aktivix.org addres. Although it might be a bit confusing that the "Your message is awaiting moderation" message always gets sent to those of us who mail the list but who aren't on it.

Cheers.

tabitha747 at riseup.net wrote:
This all sounds great to me - i just noticed though that the sections
under internationals which are currrently defined by language have more
than one text in them - anyway i'm happy to try and put up as you suggest
- defined by the text they translate. Please note the translated texts
will still show up in the lastest news bit on the front page though - but
i think this is a good thing. Does anyone mind if i get on with this?

The only thing though is that the 'internationals' label can't really be
too much longer or the menu list gets messed up- any other suggestions for
a short label -maybe just translations? Also as far as updating the web
each group should have a web person with at least basic skills for
updating otherwise you need to e-mail the tech list. there did seem to be
problems with the list but i think its all o.k now - well i'll chase this
up.

all the best T

> 1) Would be good NOT to put the translations (eg: the dutch version of the
> PGA Call and the Spanish version of the translated explanation about how
> the international email hasn’t been working) in the news section. As an
> alternative: maybe the translations in the "Internationals" section could
> be filed. The existing translations could be filed under the heading:
> "Original International Call from Dissent!" a second section could be
> "Call for Global Day of Action from PGA European Conference" - we’ve got
> this translated into about 5 languages so far with another 6 or so coming
> soon., we’ll forward them as soon as poss. The translations in different
> languages could then be found under those sections. This could work well
> for storing some of the widely translated and distributed documents such
> as those mentioned above (and later, perhaps, the invite for people to
> take part in the February International Meeting in Tuebingen etc
).
> Translations of other, shorter texts (such as news items
> about faulty email addresses, calls for bands to organise benefit gigs
> etc
) could be posted at the end of the English language versions of
> those articles on the middle column or in the news section. Headlines for
> articles which have been translated could be followed by something like:
> [En + Esp] to show that the article is in English and Spanish (something
> often done posting to Indymedias etc
). Articles only in English could
> remain without an [En] after the headline, since that’s the primary
> langauge of the site.
>
> 2) The headline "Internationals" is a bit odd. Maybe "Translations and
> International Info" would be more appropriate, even though it’s a bit
> longer.
>
> 3) Having an email address for the webmaster (mistress?) would be good.
> Even if this job rotates, or all emails to it get forwarded to a list.
> It’s difficult to know who to contact with info, suggestions, corrections
> etc
 unless you know people personally involved in the Tech Working Group